Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Entry in FWW Contest

Entry in FWW Contest

I entered a piece of furniture in the FWW Period Furniture contest. The winner will be partially determined by the number of people who "vote" for the entry.

I'd appreciate if you would look at my entry and if you feel it is worthy, vote for it by clicking on the "Thumbs up" button. Voting ends October 1.

Thanks for your consideration.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

beautiful work Mike, hope you win!
    -Ned

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    That indeed deserves a thumbs up
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

You bet Mike, that is sure nice work!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Done. Beautiful chest by the way!! Would only let me do one thumbs up, so shouldn't it be thumb up???
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

very nice work, mike
    where did yu get that curly cherry? how much was it a BF?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry asked me about the dovetails in a PM but I'm going to reply here in case anyone else has the same question.

His question was why not a half pin on both the top and bottom of the drawer. My problem was the groove that gets cut into the front and sides for the drawer bottom. Normally a small enough pin is used at the bottom that the tail on the side will cover the groove. I put the groove fairly low which meant the half pin would have to be small. Rather than risk breaking the small half pin, I elected to not put a half pin on the bottom.

If I had been thinking ahead more, I would have put the groove a bit higher on the drawer and that would have given me more room to put the small half pin at the bottom.

According to one book I read on early American furniture both techniques were used on period furniture. But based on the questions I've received on that, I wish I had put a half pin at the bottom. It's traditional on modern versions of period furniture to have a half pin on both the top and bottom.

And to answer his second question, the two "outtie" shells are applied, but the "innie" shell is carved into the drawer front.

[Oh, and to answer your question about the curly cherry, I found that in a stack of shorts so it was standard price for shorts. But it has a lot of sapwood in it and that's why I put it on the back.]

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

thanks mike i was tryun to descreet.. i am not always a troublemaker
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Great work as usual mike, and the carvings are superbe. So here and there
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Nice work Mike. Something to be proud to show.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............