Entry in FWW Contest

I entered a piece of furniture in the FWW Period Furniture contest. The winner will be partially determined by the number of people who "vote" for the entry.

I'd appreciate if you would look at my entry and if you feel it is worthy, vote for it by clicking on the "Thumbs up" button. Voting ends October 1.

Thanks for your consideration.

Mike

Larry asked me about the dovetails in a PM but I'm going to reply here in case anyone else has the same question.

His question was why not a half pin on both the top and bottom of the drawer. My problem was the groove that gets cut into the front and sides for the drawer bottom. Normally a small enough pin is used at the bottom that the tail on the side will cover the groove. I put the groove fairly low which meant the half pin would have to be small. Rather than risk breaking the small half pin, I elected to not put a half pin on the bottom.

If I had been thinking ahead more, I would have put the groove a bit higher on the drawer and that would have given me more room to put the small half pin at the bottom.

According to one book I read on early American furniture both techniques were used on period furniture. But based on the questions I've received on that, I wish I had put a half pin at the bottom. It's traditional on modern versions of period furniture to have a half pin on both the top and bottom.

And to answer his second question, the two "outtie" shells are applied, but the "innie" shell is carved into the drawer front.

[Oh, and to answer your question about the curly cherry, I found that in a stack of shorts so it was standard price for shorts. But it has a lot of sapwood in it and that's why I put it on the back.]

Mike

Got my vote, Mike. Looks like they don't have the official rules posted yet, but if they follow the pattern they used for their recent turning contest, they will select a certain number of finalists, then submit those to the public for another vote. If this is the case with this contest, let us know and we'll put in another vote for you. :thumb: