B-17 log.....

James that was an intresting read. I read every word and will send it to my Dad who is a ex Navy vet from WW2. I am sure he will find it interesting as well.

The log is very matter of fact english. No emotion. These guys had real courage when you consider the losses they were experiencing each night. To just think of going up the next night must have been working on their nerves to an extent unthinkable.

I guess they treated it like a job and just got on with it. I can understand the constant need for 48 hour passes.

Womder what the "Rest House " consisted of :).

Thanks for posting. Good read for those that are interested.

i'm reading a book along those lines, called on half a wing, 3 engines and a prayer. about the 303rd hells angels. one officer wrote in his diary after the first schweinfurt raid, where they were pretty well mauled by flak and fighters, that it was, in his words, a real shaky do. one guy who was a tail gunner said that over the channel he would get himself good and mad, really angry, because it served him better to concentrate, and keep from thinking about what they were getting into, and getting scared.

............ The log is very matter of fact english. No emotion. These guys had real courage when you consider the losses they were experiencing each night. To just think of going up the next night must have been working on their nerves to an extent unthinkable...............

Just so you know Rob, these guys were doing daylight bombing :eek:

If you want to see a very good classic movie about this period of the USAAF's daylight bombing, get a hold of "Twelve O'clock High" well worth your time, a classic!

:D