The wrong kind of excitement

Wow, that sure would be a lousy way to start the day :eek:

Once they catch, they sure go fast don't they :(

I really do think that attached garages should be for parking cars in only, I know that is now always possible, but if you are going to weld etc, take it out in the driveway. I know that some of you will think that is odd coming from me with all the stuff I do down in the dungeon, but the Dungeon is all concrete. God forbid if I ever had a fire down there (touch wood twice) it would be contained down there, as there is not much else to burn, nice thing about concrete :rolleyes:

Glad you buddy is safe, I sure hope he has insurance etc.

Cheers!

Garages are pretty much viewed as multi-use spaces in America. Many are the TV/recreation rooms. Many more are shops of one type or another. Many are simply for storage. In 45 years of marriage, half a dozen different homes, we have never put a vehicle in the garage. And, I'm sure, cost is what prevents installation of sprinkler systems.
Currently, our under house extra long one car garage is my shop. Our big detached pole barn garage is storage. Most of the stuff "in storage" could go. But, that's another story......:rolleyes:

Just thinking this one through again but how would smoke detectors fair in a garage. If one starts up the car with the door open do you think the fumes would set it off?

After seeing Stus point re attached garages I went to look and although its code to have a smoke detector on each floor and have them mains powered, its not code to have on in the garage.

I think i will move the lawnmower gas outside to the storage shed after seeing this.

Just thinking this one through again but how would smoke detectors fair in a garage. If one starts up the car with the door open do you think the fumes would set it off?

After seeing Stus point re attached garages I went to look and although its code to have a smoke detector on each floor and have them mains powered, its not code to have on in the garage.

I think i will move the lawnmower gas outside to the storage shed after seeing this.
I don't store any flammables in the garage except a few gallon cans of DNA, Turp, etc. Those are tightly sealed and kept in a cabinet up off the floor. I do have a smoke detector in the garage though.

I've been toying with the idea of putting the house up for sale in the spring and having something smaller built with a larger shop. I think I will look long and hard at a residential sprinkler system.

Wow
Scary sights, sure glad no one got hurt. Makes one rethink their use, but then park a car or two with all the gas and maybe using as a shop isn't that bad.

I had a snowmobile leaking gas one night about 1:00 AM but the dog got restless and my daughter smelled it. Pretty strong and took a while to air out as it was winter..

I keep thinking of an detached garage/ shop..

Garry

Whoa - not good. I hope your neighbor can get through this OK. He got through the hardest part safely, but it can be a long road back to "normal".

This is a good reminder for me to reassess what's in the basement versus the detached garage.

Wes

I don't know if exhaust fumes will set off a smoke detector. But concrete dust will!! I found that out grinding the floor I'm doing the tile on right now. I meant to take it out of the room when I took all the wall hangings off, but forgot about it.

I was going to ask if the truck was a Ford, and had the neighbor done the recall on the cruise control switch. Those could start a fire. Had a neighbor a few years ago claim that the sun shined on a big screen TV he had in the back of his truck, the beam focused on the garage door and caught the house on fire. But it was very evident that the fire started in the engine compartment, then spread to the house. The composite hood was melted onto the engine. The house still sits there burned out. Don't understand why unless it is still in litigation.
Glad your friend and dogs are ok. I'm sure this will give you something to take your mind away from your loss as you help and lend support to your friend. Jim.

GMC - and the fire started in or near the furnace. An accidentally knocked over gas container helped it along as did the opening of the garage door.

I didn't complete my thought there...hazards of posting at work!! :rolleyes: I should have added to my statement, "until I saw they found the cause of the fire". But you know, GM PUs have something similar with a heated washer fluid circuit that could cause a fire. Again, both instances had safety recalls issued on them. But it still sounds like they found the source of the flames and ruled out the vehicle. Jim.