View Poll Results: How many family member make their living as woodworkers ?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do

7 11.67%
  • Nope I don't

53 88.33%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many here make their living doing woodworking ?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

How many here make their living doing woodworking ?

I am curious, How many on the forum make there living doing woodworking ?

I closed this thread so it doesn't keep popping up like the corless drill thread.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 09-24-2009 at 04:13 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Voted nope, but wish there were a button for "thinking about it", or, "might give it a try", or, "scared to death about making the commitment".
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

it would be a great way for me to lose weight.

yup..
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Voted nope, but wish there were a button for "thinking about it", or, "might give it a try", or, "scared to death about making the commitment".
    Rennie,
    Go for it, I've seen your work. The hardest part is getting your name out there.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Rennie,
    Go for it, I've seen your work. The hardest part is getting your name out there.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Don. Actually, one of the things I hope to educate myself on during my trip is the feasibility of going it alone. Many of those I'll meet do this either part or full time. I hope to learn much.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Rennie,
    It's realy a matter of finding your nitch. I used to hate finishing. When I was out of work I started doing finishing and restorations as a way of making some income. I still prefer building furniture and hope eventualy to do that and only finish what I build. I told my daughter In Law the other day that I can build a piece and finish one faster then I can refinish one.

No "living" but a little side money from pens.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I'm with Frank - not making a living but picking up some extra money making furniture, carving and doing veneer work. Just about anything woodworking related.

I'd hate to have to live off it, however.

Mike

[I didn't vote because I fall in between.]
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I am also with Frank, but am trying to gear up and run a business. I have all the paperwork done and am working on building up inventory and putting together a web site....................retirement from the first career was not planned and though I currently receive a pension I can't rely on that to be there forever. I actually think I may do better than working for someone else..........how deluded is that?