How many here make their living doing woodworking ?

How many family member make their living as woodworkers ?

• Yes I do

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Nope I don't

Votes: 53 88.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't vote because technically I'm 'sposed to be retired. I sold my small engine business in 2001 and stayed on until 2007, then got tired of getting up every morning and of smelling like gas and oil every night, so I quit. I took the winter off, then got bored and missed the extra income (too young for a pension of any kind), so I took a job three days a week in a cabinet shop. I started as a labourer, but now I do just about everything that has to be done, depending on how busy the two "pros" I work with are and what they need done. When the shop is quiet I just go home, or play around doing stuff for me (my boss is a great guy and so is my co-worker!) I guess that "sort of" qualifies me as making my living doing woodwork, but....I also work for a couple of other folks every once in a while......so I guess it's more hobby income then anything else.

what a waffler eh?:D

John

I think alot of woodworking has to do with your name.
I show my wife and friends pictures of certain pieces of furniture made by top men in the field, charging 5, 10, 20 thousand dollars a piece, and they dont get it. Having said that, its not that they dont appreciate something built sturdy and beautiful, they just dont understand that alot of the woodworking purchases are made because alot of people find it like art, they want to have a "piece" of that persons work.
I believe there is a huge difference between people who build custom furniture for a living, and those that do general contracting work. Maybe all part of woodworking, but really has very little to do with each other.

Last edited:
I think alot of woodworking has to do with your name.
I show my wife and friends pictures of certain pieces of furniture made by top men in the field, charging 5, 10, 20 thousand dollars a piece, and they dont get it. Having said that, its not that they dont appreciate something built sturdy and beautiful, they just dont understand that alot of the woodworking purchases are made because alot of people find it like art, they want to have a "piece" of that persons work.
I believe there is a huge difference between people who build custom furniture for a living, and those that do general contracting work. Maybe all part of woodworking, but really has very little to do with each other.

allen,
i do both......stairs, trim, curves, straight, build a desk a bed an entertainment center or a table-n-chairs......it`s all wood and i cut it for money:eek:.........granted i`d much rather build a burled bedroom suite than run casing-n-base but a fellow has to eat and being diversified in todays economy has allowed me to keep my head above water.........kinda?

Understood, but you also get the jobs because of your reputation.
Someone wants your work.Someone wants you to build them that piece of furniture.
I know a few bigee general contractors out here, guys that do up extensions and bathrooms for your house, and they have made small fortunes, but I dont think Id ever hire one of them to build me an armoir or bedroom set.
One of my neighbors could build a house in 4 days, but he told me hes never cut a dovetail or any other hand made joint.

I agree with Allen, I think people buy the name as much if not more than the item when you get into the really crazy expensive stuff. I've seen many examples of things people have built on different forums (including this one) that are just as well built and look just as good as some of the "high end" furniture.

I work with a lady who's husband is a contractor. I was talking to her yesterday about how his business was doing. She said that it's slower but he has enough to stay busy. He has a good name in the community because he does quality work, shows up when he says he will and he's not on drugs. It's hard to find all three of those things around here anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.