My Dust Collection System -- Finally Complete?

Bill Arnold

Staff member
I've been kinda sick the past few days so I've been catching up on some photography and web page updates. I posted an update about my TSGUARD installation a couple of days ago. Today, I took a few photos of my entire dust collection system and created a new page on my web site. Here's a look at it.

Last edited:
Thanks you so much for sharing this. I don't have a shop but when I do, I'll definitely go back to your web site for ideas.
I like the floor sweep idea.
Thanks, Mohammad.

For the floor sweeps, I bought two ABS plastic units from Rockler (88452). These are pretty rugged, but I used some scrap 5/8" plywood to build a box around each one for protection. I suppose one could just build a box and add a DC duct to it but I think the manufactured sweep is designed for optimum airflow.

Attachments

• DC_FloorSweep.jpg
    DC_FloorSweep.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 11
Bill, very nice DC and tour! :thumb:
I am not going to put in a floor sweep at this time as I have upcoming little ones that are going to be doing a lot of sweeping. :D Also have heard the concern about screws, nails, metal going thru and causing sparks, thus a fire where it can't be easily detected. Is that a legitimate concern and if it is, you only work with wooden nails and screws?

Bill, very nice DC and tour! :thumb:
I am not going to put in a floor sweep at this time as I have upcoming little ones that are going to be doing a lot of sweeping. :D Also have heard the concern about screws, nails, metal going thru and causing sparks, thus a fire where it can't be easily detected. Is that a legitimate concern and if it is, you only work with wooden nails and screws?
Thanks, Jonathan.

You're fortunate to have little ones at home. All of my "little ones" are a thousand miles away with their own little ones to chase! :rolleyes:

Since I have a cyclone, I'm not concerned about small screws, etc., going through the system. Larger metallic items that show up while sweeping help me with my knee bends. ;)

That's a fine-looking system, Bill. I'd love to have something in that league someday. :thumb:
Thanks, Vaughn. I've waited decades to have any type of "real" shop and have really enjoyed putting one together in Georgia. The DC system itself has taken nearly two and a half years to get to this stage. I started with the cyclone and the 7" duct to the first drop on each trunk. As budget and time allowed, I purchased additional duct and wyes to bring more machines online.

My little ones are also having little ones!! Grandkids. Mine at this time are close and planning on staying that way. But times dictate different things. So a cyclone is different and won't create the spark? Interesting. Excellent system hands down, impressed with the overall fit of the system to each piece and overall.

... So a cyclone is different and won't create the spark? Interesting. Excellent system hands down, impressed with the overall fit of the system to each piece and overall.
A "regular" dust collector draws all of the debris through the impeller and blows it into a bag of some sort. Therefore, the potential for creating sparks and damage to the impeller exists.

A cyclone system creates a vacuum in the same way but the air returning from the duct system is drawn into a cylindrical chamber where the speed of the debris is reduced and gravity forces it to spiral into a bin at the base of the system. The only thing going through the impeller is fine dust that should have no effect on it.

:thumb:

Jon, I have had screws past thru my imellers and never had a fire. I have read that it is little chance of a spark makein its way into the bine and catching anything as 1: it usally has a few feet to travel. 2 the sawdust is well back and more like a brick.

Jon, I have had screws past thru my imellers and never had a fire. I have read that it is little chance of a spark makein its way into the bine and catching anything as 1: it usally has a few feet to travel. 2 the sawdust is well back and more like a brick.
I had screws pass through my old dust collector impeller without starting a fire also. But, it can and does happen.

In a non-cyclone system, the screw and sawdust pass through the same impeller, so I don't see how a potential spark and the sawdust can be seperate. :dunno: