Thread: My Shop Has Gone Green

My Shop Has Gone Green

No I'm not putting in a solar panel or geothermal heat....

As most of you know, my dad retired this summer and had been yearning for a new lathe to enjoy in his retirement and a few weeks ago it arrived, 1.5HP Jet 1642. Beautiful machine that purrs along while you slice thru wood. He had asked me if I was interested in his now retired lathe, a Grizzly G0462.

At first I didn't think I wanted it because I didn't think I could find room for it. Then I decided I could make room. This past week the room was made and my shop went green. My plan is to use it to make more delicate pieces as the 'ol Maytag is not as precise as it once was. In the near future, I will be redoing the headstock on it. Lots of ideas on how to do it, just need to figure out how to put them into motion.

Thanks Dad!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0873.JPG  
    Last edited by Jeff Bower; 09-16-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: I listed the wrong lathe model.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Good for you Jeff, and your Dad.

Nice to see that lathe is staying in the family
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

You had me confused. Why?? , I thought, would he trade a Grizzly G0632 for a Jet 1642 since the two are near-clones of each other.
    Yours, I'm pretty sure, is a G0462.
    It is a Reeves drive, not an EVS. But, you got a very good deal and, no doubt, will give you much turning pleasure. It is a good lathe.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    You had me confused. Why?? , I thought, would he trade a Grizzly G0632 for a Jet 1642 since the two are near-clones of each other.
    Yours, I'm pretty sure, is a G0462.
    It is a Reeves drive, not an EVS. But, you got a very good deal and, no doubt, will give you much turning pleasure. It is a good lathe.
    You are correct Frank! It is a G0462! I will edit the OP. I guess I was dreaming about your lathe!

The Reeves drive does have a low speed that is high, but I will be using it for mostly spindle turning and smaller things. It is a good lathe, my dad turned out lots of great pieces on it!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Good job both of you!!! It is great reading about you and your dad's relationship and back and forth commentary. Let's see some spindles!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

one thing about it jeff,, this new lathe that you got from dad can possibly teach yu something, its expeirnced for sure and the may tag needs to be used as well or grandpa will come back and haunt yu
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Good job both of you!!! It is great reading about you and your dad's relationship and back and forth commentary. Let's see some spindles!
    Spindles are new to me...pics will come soon. My dad and I do have fun together...

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    one thing about it jeff,, this new lathe that you got from dad can possibly teach yu something, its expeirnced for sure and the may tag needs to be used as well or grandpa will come back and haunt yu
    Don't worry about grandpa's lathe...it will be used plenty even before the headstock gets redone.
    My Website

Maybe no solar panels or geothermal heat, but recycling is green.

Congrats in the new acquisition Jeff. (And you too, Wayne.) As far as the low-end speed is concerned, maybe you can use the Maytag to do the initial knocking off of the corners on the blank, then move it over to the Griz. I don't think you'll need to limit yourself to spindle stuff on it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com