Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oak Commission

Oak Commission

Back in July, I had the neighbor of a friend of my BIL's (word of mouth works great!) contact me saying they had a cherished oak tree taken down and wondered if I could make some bowls or something with a few logs she had saved. Here is what the what the logs looked like. She wanted to save the burl/knobs somehow as they were her favorite part. I tried to turn vases out of 2 of them, but one exploded and the other fell apart, pretty sure they were just scabs from fallen limbs. I did save one of them in whole form, pic 1 and 2. The other pics are 4 more pieces. She wanted a range of different pieces, so that's what she will get to pick from tonight when I meet with her. She wanted 3-4 pieces, I made 8 to choose from.

More pics in next post....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0865.JPG   100_0864.JPG   100_0822.JPG   100_0825.JPG   100_0842.JPG  

100_0836.JPG  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I also tried my first butterfly inlay on one piece, not great job at all, but it stopped the crack. The second pic is the other half of that log. The third pic is just a simple endgrain cutoff, but it has some great rays in it. Last two picks show one of the stands I made for the 2 standing pieces. Sorry for all the pics.

Comment and Critiques please....I'll let you know how she likes them after we meet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0847.JPG   100_0837.JPG   100_0858.JPG   100_0852.JPG   100_0870.JPG  

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

No apologies for all the pics. We love pics here.
    Bottom line: Ye dun gud.
    Every one of those pieces is a stand-alone unique creation.
    Even the thick sided bowls look like that is the way they should be. To me, they speak of something ancient. I like.
    I think the one with the butterfly inlay is my favorite.
    If she doesn't buy them all, sumtin' is wrong with the lady.
    BTW, on a commission like that, you can call them 'Heritage' pieces.
    I'm going out to destroy my lathe now.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Man why would you apologize for the pictures?? Great job on all of those pieces!!! Finish?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Thanks Frank and Jonathan!

Jonathan, the finish is 4 coats of danish oil and then buffed with a clean buffing wheel.
    My Website

jeff the two winged pieces are my choice, the first one looks oaky to me where the other one looks more proper.. the one bowl withe rays coming out like a sun is a good use of oak as well
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

They area all great, but i especially like the one with the "rays". thats really cool.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Great job on all Jeff. I especially like the one with the rays coming out of the center.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for all the kind comments!
    My Website

Hi Jeff. I like the one with rays also.

The keyed one I like it as well but I find the circle a bit too burned ( don't know if it is burned or dyed)
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...