Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you square large panels?

how do you square large panels?

I was cutting an end table top to size the other day and started thinking how I would cut a larger top so that each side was square. I have a crosscut sled that I generally use for panels, but the panel size is limited. How do you cut large panels like table tops and such so they are square?

I have a long(10') peice of angle iron which had one face flatten(trued). Clamp it to the ply or panel and cut away.

If you jointed up all the boards, (please remember I am an amateur), I use a 4 foot T-square to draw a line with jointed edge, then I have a clamp up to 51 inches that clamps on top, and I use a handheld circular saw against the clamp. I usually cut at both ends(of the table top) so the ends are squared up to the edges, or as best as I could get them.

before i got a slider i used shootin` boards just like al and allen have discribed....still do if i`m outta the shop.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Thanks for the replies.

That's what I thought you'd have to do. If you were able to cut it on the table saw, all you would do is make the cut parallel to each other but not square correct?

When I needed similar cuts on large cutting boards a year or two ago, I ended up making an oversized sled for my tablesaw that can handle widths up to about 42".
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

John...

I'm a little late. Sorry about that.

I stopped having that problem when I bought a Festool TS 55 and a couple of the guides. This thing is amazingly accurate for a handheld circular saw. Take some time setting the guide up perpendicular to the edge and you will likely end up with a keeper cut. And the "zero clearance" feature of the guide almost entirely eliminates tearout. The plunge cut is nice, too...and safer. It wasn't cheap, but every time I use it I'm happy I bought it. I see that some of the "other" circular saw mfrs are coming out with clones, and maybe they won't set you back as much.

I have an Exaktor sliding table mounted on my table saw, but when a panel exceeds its capacity I go to the Festool.

Cheers.

I'm like Ed, I use my Festool system. In my small shop, even though I have a large tablesaw, I still use the Festool to break down panels, it is just easier and quicker.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Festool system here as well works great. Saves so much time, better quality no tare out on cheap ply and much safer as mentined above.

One way we do it is to make #4 4 corner jigs to place the corners in.