how do you square large panels?

I was cutting an end table top to size the other day and started thinking how I would cut a larger top so that each side was square. I have a crosscut sled that I generally use for panels, but the panel size is limited. How do you cut large panels like table tops and such so they are square?

If you jointed up all the boards, (please remember I am an amateur), I use a 4 foot T-square to draw a line with jointed edge, then I have a clamp up to 51 inches that clamps on top, and I use a handheld circular saw against the clamp. I usually cut at both ends(of the table top) so the ends are squared up to the edges, or as best as I could get them.

before i got a slider i used shootin` boards just like al and allen have discribed....still do if i`m outta the shop.

Thanks for the replies.

That's what I thought you'd have to do. If you were able to cut it on the table saw, all you would do is make the cut parallel to each other but not square correct?

When I needed similar cuts on large cutting boards a year or two ago, I ended up making an oversized sled for my tablesaw that can handle widths up to about 42".

John...

I'm a little late. Sorry about that.

I stopped having that problem when I bought a Festool TS 55 and a couple of the guides. This thing is amazingly accurate for a handheld circular saw. Take some time setting the guide up perpendicular to the edge and you will likely end up with a keeper cut. And the "zero clearance" feature of the guide almost entirely eliminates tearout. The plunge cut is nice, too...and safer. It wasn't cheap, but every time I use it I'm happy I bought it. I see that some of the "other" circular saw mfrs are coming out with clones, and maybe they won't set you back as much.

I have an Exaktor sliding table mounted on my table saw, but when a panel exceeds its capacity I go to the Festool.

Cheers.

I'm like Ed, I use my Festool system. In my small shop, even though I have a large tablesaw, I still use the Festool to break down panels, it is just easier and quicker. :wave:

Festool system here as well works great. Saves so much time, better quality no tare out on cheap ply and much safer as mentined above.

While there are fancier and more expensive alternatives (as mentioned above), I get excellent results using a dead straight piece of MDF as a straight edge and my old Craftsman circular saw with a darn good blade. :thumb:

Woodcraft is now a Festool distributor, and I just found out today from my rep that Festool is doing demonstrations at various Woodcraft stores. Sorry, but I have to jump in here and say that if there's a Woodcraft nearby you owe it to yourself to find out when the next Festool demo is and attend...if possible, make it a point to be allowed to make a cut. I went through the gamut of Sears circular saw, Skilsaw (who hasn't had one of those), Makita and Dewalt. Finally I bit the bullet and bought a Festool TS 55. I couldn't believe my eyes. The cut takes longer to setup, but it's as good as a table saw (btw, I wouldn't sell my table saw). Okay, you're not convinced. I understand that. Just go try it.

Cheers.

That jig is for assembly, isn't it Dave? I think John's talking about cutting an over-length panel and having the cut be square to the side. Maybe I'm off in the weeds again.

Cheers