Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little rocker I am restoring.- Done

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Little rocker I am restoring.- Done

This is a little Rocking Chair that I am restoring for a client. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Little rocker.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	36821He wants me to restore it for his wife for a Birthday present. It was her Grandmothers. I'll tighten it up, strip it Re-cane the seat and refinish it. Should take a little less then a day. If anyone would like demensions on any pieces I restore I'd be glad to furnish them. This one is a simple design and might be fun for someone to make.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 09-22-2009 at 03:43 AM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Not all restorations are simply striping and finishing. I never let anything out of the shop that is not 100% the way it was built. Here is a picture of a leg on the rocker that is cracked. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crack.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	36822And here is a picture of where a piece has broken off and needs to be replaced.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piece.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	36823
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

ok don yu mentioned tighting it up and replace the broke parts.. how do you tighten up and are yu gonna replace the back leg or just glue and reclamp it?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Restoration, will they be happy with it cleaned thoroughly and waxed and caned? Will some get unhappy with a tight useable chair but has a couple of pieces replaced (even if they didn't know it until you told them)?
    A day?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    ok don yu mentioned tighting it up and replace the broke parts.. how do you tighten up and are yu gonna replace the back leg or just glue and reclamp it?
    Most pieces like this all the joints are loose and if they tried to use it it would fall apart. I will reglue all the loose joints and glue and clamp the leg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Restoration, will they be happy with it cleaned thoroughly and waxed and caned? Will some get unhappy with a tight useable chair but has a couple of pieces replaced (even if they didn't know it until you told them)?
    A day?
    he asked me to recane and refinish so aside from repairing the chair nthats what I will do and he should be happy. I haven't had one yet who was unhappy. whenever I do one of these I always give it a thourgh inspecttion while they are with me and tell him exactly what I intend to do.

There is your key, communication. Guess they need to decide if it will be restored to be used or restored as a piece of art to look at and not use.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

OK I finish the rocker today, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rocker3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	36972As you can see from the picture I decided against pepairing the broken piece, Once I made the replacement piece I found that no matter what I tried I couldn't make the wood color match so I called the customer and we agreed that I would leave it alone.

great looking restoration Don.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Great job Don!! Masterpiece.
    Jon

Great job Don, and no one but you and the customer will every notice that one piece
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward