Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad boo boo, any suggestions?

Bad boo boo, any suggestions?

I finished all the pieces on my unit except for spinning the legs and knobs.
    I decided to assemble doors and panels today.
    Last panel, last side, I picked up the wrong pocket screws, and even after I cracked one side, (outside naturally), I proceeded like a total moron not checking the screws and cracked the other side.
    I would love to salvage these stiles, how do I fix it so its not really noticable?
    Or am in just plain out of luck.

The truth is, I have to blame it on my wife.
    She came home for an early lunch today with my daughter and they made soup, and called me in from the garage. Normally, I never eat lunch early or usually just skip it, since I eat enough. But, since food is more attractive to me than woodworking, I went in when they called and had soup. My glasses are on a string, and a bit of soup spilled into them,(im not only vision impaired and ugly, IM a slob also) and I didnt notice it.
    When I went back into the garage to assemble the last panel, I put my glasses on and they were dirty, and I had to go in to wash them, I just said, ok, wash them after you finish these last 8 screws, holes are already made.
    So, no reading glasses on, I didnt see the thread on the screws, and picked the wrong ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 1310 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1312 (Medium).jpg  

add glue to cracks unscrew and then rescrew with right length screws. clamp cracks in need be.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    add glue to cracks unscrew and then rescrew with right length screws. clamp cracks in need be.
    Yep, force some glue down in those cracks, lay a piece of wax paper over them and clamp using a piece of flat scrap over the cracked area.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Ditto, and in addition I would screw the new and right screws with the clamps on once the glue has dried. In this way the clamps will give the wood the strengh they need not to split again.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I used the air hose to blow glue into the cracks, I didnt want to pull them anymore apart.(someone told me about the air line to blow glue in a while ago)
    I dont think I need to put new pocket screws in, the glue joint seems pretty bonded. I clamped it all down, will leave it alone overnight.

What they said sounds good to a spinny guy. It's what I do when I have a crack while the wood's still flat.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

I'm with Toni; glue clamp. Rescrew once dry with clamps in place for added security. I'll add that I would drive the screws the last couple turns by hand.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Great ideas,
    Faith, Hope & Charity

i too agree, glue and clamp as tight as you can. then take that pocket hole thingy and have mrs allen hide it some place where you'll never find it.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

no can do Dan. Pocket joinery is here to stay. For framework its fantastic, no clamping time, no wait, just move on to next step. Dont have to set up for mortise and tenons, dont have to cut them all.