Latest Cutting Board

Ned Bulken

slurp.jpg

Buddy of mine finally ran out of steam, er can't run any more, er... um, is getting married this Saturday. Money's tight this week (biweekly paydays bite sometimes...) and I decided that a cutting board would be a fine wedding present.

sanded1.jpg

2 slightly different Maple boards, some Chocolate and a slab of Cherry made up this solid end grain board. 11.5" x 17" x2" thick. The usual process:
  • rip, glue up boards on the flat
  • plane to smooth
  • cut apart
  • flip up on end
  • glue back together
  • plane to smooth them off (sacrificial softwood boards on the ends for the end grain planing)
  • trim to square (and to remove the softwood)
  • round over all edges
  • sand to 220
  • oil with mineral oil til the board won't take any more...
sandeded.jpg

ajboard.jpg

oiled2.jpg

This shot and the first one above are showing just how Thirsty the board is, that's a healthy coat of oil, in mid absorption.
oily.jpg

That's better than a store-bought gift any day of the week. Great job, Ned. :thumb: Now you need to get creative and try some patterns other than The Wood Whisperer's staggered checkerboard. ;)

Great project. Only addition I would have would be... when I soak mine, I have a Tupperware or similar container that I fill with Minieral Oil, put in a couple small dowels to hold the board off the bottom and allow it to soak overnight, filp it over and soak the other side keeping it saturated then put atop a couple dowels across the container and allow to drip "dry" Then you can polish the surface as it has absorbed as much as it can. Warm oil soaks deeper...

I like the work and the results of the design. Now that you have the technique down, experiment with unique designs. Lets see some more. thanks for the posting.

Last edited:
Bill,
I'll have to try that on the next board, this one is going to get as many coats between tonight and tomorrow night as I can manage, then get handed to the happy couple Saturday

I've got a few ideas in mind for some new designs, this was a 'last minute' oh heck, what can I give them' project.