Some Cutting Boards

I'm working out of a shipping container. I live in a condo so a real shop is out of the question. The container's insulated, air conditioned, heated and "efficient." It's in the "back yard" of my powder coating business. Keeps me off the streets! Here a some boards I've done for friends.

Attachments

• JeriLee4.jpg
    JeriLee4.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 115
  • PattiSue5.jpg
    PattiSue5.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Jan1.jpg
    Jan1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 122
  • JennaRyan.jpg
    JennaRyan.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 121
  • JRM Stand 1.jpg
    JRM Stand 1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Two Species Large3.jpg
    Two Species Large3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 124
Very nice!

So how are you doing the inlay?

The archy thing, come on Frank, are you telling me that YOU don't know what that is.....? :eek:

Boy I thought you would figure it out right away :rolleyes:

.............. yeah, I don't know what it is either :eek: :rofl:

Maybe a plate stand, or even a drying rack/stand for a cutting board?

Geeze guys, the archy thingy is a replica of St. Louie's Arch but it belongs to John R Monkeyshines or something... Really neat boards and interesting archy ... :thumb:

very nicly done inlays... and i too am waiting to see what yu do with the archy thing???:thumb::thumb:

also that back drop that appears to be another cuttin board blank, are yu tryun for the giness book with the number of pieces in one cuttin board??? WOW

Last edited:
Very nice!

So how are you doing the inlay?

The archy thing, come on Frank, are you telling me that YOU don't know what that is.....? :eek:

Boy I thought you would figure it out right away :rolleyes:

.............. yeah, I don't know what it is either :eek: :rofl:

Maybe a plate stand, or even a drying rack/stand for a cutting board?

Come on Stu it is a JRM stand, ummm for satnding your JRM's on. Geeezzz :rofl::rofl:

Very nice work Gary. looking forward to hearing how you did the inlay (and the story of what the archy thing is).

Very nice work

Great looking stuff Gary. Is there an additional protection for the graphics other than just a mineral oil bath for the board? Oh, and nice archy-thing. I can't believe the folks here don't have one of their own ;-)

It's a stand for the "Jenna/Ryan" board

It holds the board so it can be displayed and protected from warping. The stand's set up so the board lays back at 13 deg - no more, no less. The "JRM" is their initials. The board and stand were a wedding present. I use wiping varnish (actually 1/3 varninsh, 2/3 thinner) on the boards before they're oiled. One coat, wiped off almost immediatily, seals the wood so it won't drink and bleed oil all the time. I've become an expert on what makes cutting boards tick lately. The varnish is urethane spar varnish and "food safe" after a full cure. I tell everyone I give a board to what date they can start using the board around food. The Jenna/Ryan board got 3 coats of varnish on the dispay side. The back side of all the boards is for real use. Has a juice groove and only one VERY LIGHT sealer coat of varnish. The inlays are all 1/8 thinck material cut on my home-built CNC router.

Attachments

• IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 74
I haven't tried using varnish on cutting boards. Even the inlayed boards I've done with Pete Simmons were finished with just mineral oil, and I haven't heard of any problems. (I used to make quite a few cutting boards, so I've got a fair amount of experience with them too.) I like using the oil because it's easy for the future owner of the board to freshen up as the board wears.

Here's one board Pete and I did a couple years ago...I just glued and sanded the wood, Pete did the hard part with his laser and patience:

Mountain Air 1 800.jpg Mountain Air Detail 800.jpg

BTW, I'm envious of your CNC machine. :thumb:

Some controversy about varnish on cutting boards

I did a LOT of research on cutting boards and the finishing of them when I started this endeavor. I learned a lot about them!!! I found "Understanding Wood Finishing" by Bob Flexner and a couple of other reference books that addressed "Salad Bowl Finish" and other "food safe" finishes. In essence, they all said the same thing - salad bowl finishes are basically wiping varnish and all varnishes are "food safe" (read intermittent indirect contact with food just like Titebond III says on the label) AFTER they are fully cured. I did the first few with just oil and they tuned out OK. Then I tried wiping varnish on the display (inlaid) side of one and was really pleased with the outcome. The oil still soaks in but the wood doesn't drink nearly as much and the oil doesn't need to be redone nearly as much. The Wood Whisperer addresses this in one of his videos and recommends it as acceptable as long as the varnish is allowed to fully cure before food contact. Jealous of my CNC? Build one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll help with pointers and such if you do. And do you know walnut and a couple of other "exotics" are so toxic you can't sell animal bedding with them in it (at least here in Oklahoma)? Walnut can also induce peanut allergies in super-sensitive people. BTW, I'm jealous of the laser work.............