Cribbage Board....???

Stuart Ablett

A friend here has asked me to make one, nothing fancy, just functional, and he would like a straight one, with storage on the underside for a deck of cards and the pins. He would like a three player unit.

I know that is a LOT of drilling to do, and at some point I'm sure that the iCarver will be up the job, but not at this moment, I'm still learning the ropes.

As I will have no corner to go round, I found this cool little >> JIG << that will make things a lot easier on the accuracy front :thumb:

now I know that a board had 120 holes for each player, plus the winning hole, the 121st hole I guess, and being straight, with the holes about 1cm apart, running two lines of 60 for each player, that is still a LONG board:doh:

Anyone have any insight into this?

Cheers!

Rockler has some plexiglass templates. Think cribbage is one of them. I have the one for dominos and the triangular golf tee game along with the self centering drill bit gizmo (it is cool!!).

A friend here has asked me to make one, nothing fancy, just functional, and he would like a straight one, with storage on the underside for a deck of cards and the pins. He would like a three player unit.

I know that is a LOT of drilling to do, and at some point I'm sure that the iCarver will be up the job, but not at this moment, I'm still learning the ropes.

As I will have no corner to go round, I found this cool little >> JIG << that will make things a lot easier on the accuracy front :thumb:

now I know that a board had 120 holes for each player, plus the winning hole, the 121st hole I guess, and being straight, with the holes about 1cm apart, running two lines of 60 for each player, that is still a LONG board:doh:

Cheers!
Hi Stu; Is LV any good for you?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32777&cat=1,250,43313

I've made a dozen or so of these. You first have to mark the holes and then drill them. Something approaching 800+. Use a ⅛" BP drill. I think the jig will be a little cumbersome. I was able to drill the holes freehand ( they were marked with an awl) in under an hour. Boring you betcha! Just have to put your mind to it.

Once you make one, you'll want to make more.

last cribbage board i made was out of white oak stained to bottle brown, in the shape of a budweiser 40 oz bottle, with a real budweiser label from a 40 oz, finished with a clear, water based varnish, for a friend of my brother, who happened to love his bud. when he saw it, his first reaction was "aw man, that's just wrong", then after a minute aske my brother to break out the cards... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Straight boards are usually two tracks of 31 holes for each player (up and back twice, plus the 'winner') to keep the length down. I normally use 1/4" hole-to-hole spacing with an extra 1/8" between each group of five for easier counting, and the tracks spaced 3/8" apart. That's assuming standard pegs and 1/8" holes, although I've seen pegs made for up to 3/8" holes for giant boards, like 4' long.

There are a couple of examples on my website, but they are definitely neither straight nor simple. (And no, I don't drill them...life's too short for that.:p)