Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum sander

Drum sander

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some kind of drum sander (not one of those huge things that Norm has). Still doing the research. Sears is selling a Craftsman Professional 18" open end drum sander for $699 (normally $899) "while supplies last". I long ago decided that Sears wasn't my tool guy, but this looks interesting. Can't find any reviews. Anybody know anything about this thing? One thing that bothers me about Sears is that they change manufacturers and then you can't get parts. Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers.

Stories in the business section of the newspapers are saying that Sears may not be around much longer.
    I would verify the original manufacturer of that sander before plunking down any dollars.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

save your money and go up one more step to a woodmaster, you will never regret it...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gerhard View Post
    I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some kind of drum sander (not one of those huge things that Norm has). Still doing the research. Sears is selling a Craftsman Professional 18" open end drum sander for $699 (normally $899) "while supplies last". I long ago decided that Sears wasn't my tool guy, but this looks interesting. Can't find any reviews. Anybody know anything about this thing? One thing that bothers me about Sears is that they change manufacturers and then you can't get parts. Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers.
    I've gotten good performance from my Performax 10/20. Not as big as what you're looking at, but they're around $500 now. For the $700 you're looking at, maybe the Jet (they bought Performax a couple years ago) 16/32 might be worth considering.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I was hoping somebody would talk me out of it. Thanks for that.

GP (you'll never live that down), the fact that Sears is going away scares me sufficiently.

Larry, that's a little more than a step up for me...more like a small flight of stairs. I did call them ($2k right now for the 26" including $300 worth of sandpaper and free shipping if I can get to an ABF freight company(otherwise $175)). Also requested their free video. If I'm not careful I might talk myself into that even though I'll be in hock longer than planned.

Thanks for the input Jim. The Performax family (now Jet) has been tempting me for a couple years now.

How much do you guys use that tool? My fear is that it'll turn out to be like my shaper...every now and then I grab the air hose and blow the dust off it, but can't remember when I last used it (except to stack stuff on).

Well, (whew), I won't be acquiring a Craftsman machine. Thanks for the inputs.

Cheers.

how much use ,, like every time i make something, it always part of the process ..does it set idle some yes but when you are ready to use it its there and without one you cant imagine how you got by .. if you can swing one and grab the payment plan go for it you will never be sorry and they are american made and they also have great resale,, just try to find a used one.. before i got mine i had lined up one but they sold it before i finally decided to go for it so i went with a new one.. they are well built and do as they say.. there much better than the long arm stlye machine that you flip over or do one side then the other..
    Last edited by larry merlau; 09-18-2009 at 09:13 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

A couple of years ago I purchased a used Performax 16-32. Like new with lots of paper for $600. Loved that thing! Along came a great deal on a Jet 22-44 Pro that had barely been used. Looked new to me! Two big boxes of paper. Got that one for a $1000,so I upgraded! Sold the 16-32 for what I had in it, so I just came up with the difference of $400. I guess what I'm saying, if you can wait long enough and look hard enough, you might find that equipment used in like new condition for a deal as I have. I'm only lacking a 3hp cyclone and a MM16 or Laguna 16HD for resawing and I'll have all my wish list tools. And I've had these come on the market for good deals locally, but wasn't financially prepared at the time! I'm hoping more will cross my path when I do have the tool funds. The only big machine that I have bought new was a Powermatic 14" Bandsaw. I buckled under during a sale and bit the bullet cause I hadn't seen but one come along in reasonable distance and I missed it. Had the cash and couldn't wait. It all comes down to the individual. I am just a retired hobbyist, so the cash outlay was important to me...And I have ended up with nice Professional equipment that has made me happy! Powermatic 8" Jointer, Powermatic 20" Planer, 3hp Jet Exacta Cabinet Saw, etc.All look just as nice as the Powermatic I paid more for!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gerhard View Post
    ...How much do you guys use that tool? My fear is that it'll turn out to be like my shaper...every now and then I grab the air hose and blow the dust off it, but can't remember when I last used it (except to stack stuff on)...
    Like Larry, I use mine on nearly every project. Just a couple passes will remove the resaw marks from most lumber (I use a Woodslicer blade, btw).

Plus, it's almost an essential if you're using figured woods like birdseye maple, etc. Works where a jointer or planer won't.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Will a sander set idle most of the time YES if it is used the way it should.
    Back when I had a production shop I made a lot of small items for the tole painters. I would spend 2 to 3 day just sanding on the orders but I kept telling my self I couldn't afford a sander. Well when I finely bit the bullet I bought a 24" powermatic wide belt and the jobs that I spent all that time on could be done in 1 1/2 hours YES 1 1/2 I timed it then it just set there drawing dust until the next job. I will say once I added that machine my business turned around and I made money. You just cant believe how little time you spend with it and how much it improves and speeds thing up.

Best tool I ever bought and it will be replace when I have the room.

Jay

earlier this year i picked up a jet 10-20 drum sander, and until my wife bought me the planer for my birthday, it was my favorite machine.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking