Another Weekend is upon us so What Yall got planned

Heading home tomorrow after a great week in Port Townsend (Lie Nielsen Hand Tool Event, Wooden Boat Festival and week long class with Garrett Hack). We had hoped to catch the 9:30AM ferry tomorrow, but we waited too long to make our reservation and our choices were 6:30AM or 11:45PM. We chose 6:30AM. Oh well, we will be home earlier! Give us plenty of time to unpack and maybe catch the Seahawks on TV. Feeling pretty pumped up about the Huskies upsetting USC today. Wished I had seen it, but we were busy viewing the sights.

Jim DeLaney, hope you are feeling better, I'm getting over my cold, Sunday morning here and I'm feeling better than I have for a week :thumb:...

Thanks Stu, I am. Still got the sweats, but the horrific chills have subsided. Ate my first meal tonight since Wednesday. So far, so good. At this rate, I'll feel human again within a day or two...;)

Holy smokes....after 6 months I actually have woodworking plans!

I have been working on a Slitter for the last few days, and this weekend I should get the slitter finished up and then start the case that will house it.

Its actually coming out pretty good, Soft Maple body with stainless steel wear bars throughout. A nice contrast of dark wood and mirror polished stainless steel. Obviously with stainless steel hardware you could drop the slitter in the ocean and it would not tarnish, but since this more of a presentation tool then a real tool, I want it in a nice case to show it off a bit.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15700

:My wife went away with friends for a day trip today, left at 6:30 am, so by 9am, I was up and finished with breakfast, and decided before any work in the garage, Im goiing to clean up the woodpile again, because its out of control messy.
by 10am, I had my son ticked off he had to spend his sunday morning helping me, but there was no way I was lifting all those 10 foot oak boards off the floor and then back again.
so together, we spent 2 hours 40 minutes, me almost an hour alone, and my end result is that its still a mess. I liberated and sorted all my remaining mahogany and walnut, but the ash, white oak, red oak, maple, (probably 4 different maples), some mystery wood, hickory(who knew, we turned over some boards that looked like ash or oak, they were labeled hickory on the back, they were very light weight compared to the oak), birch, beech, pine, and probably a few others, Im not even sure since some of the oak looks so much like ash. What a waste of time!:(:doh::dunno::(:(:(:(:dunno:

now Im too beat to do any woodworking

Follow up - I got to make some curly's in the driveway this afternoon.

DSCF5080 (Medium).jpg

I need to get a grinder and lathe tool sharpening accessories. The LOML was surprised that lathe tools are not delivered perfectly sharpened. I bought the Benjamin's Best set of 8 Lathe chisels from Penn State Industries. While they are sharp, they are not razor sharp.

Cheers

Jim

Still NO woodworking here, but did spend about an hour and a half in the shop covering two masonite sheets 2' x 4' each with red burlap to match the two I made two or three years ago for the LOML. I also spent part of the afternoon "Consulting" to the LOML and two other ladies from her Class that were cementing pictures of deceased classmates to the boards for their "In Memorium" display for HER 50 th Class Reunion coming up Friday. We started this project for their last Reunion. Each board will hold 28 pictures and the last three years have really seen an increase in the space needed. I may have to make some easels If we don't come up with two more. I'll try to get pics of the display if I have to make the easels, AND (if I can remember I'm supposed to DO Something, by then).:rolleyes::D