Onrust Boxes

Don Orr

These 2 lidded boxes are made from scraps from building the Onrust. Last weekend (9/12-13/2009) was the NY 400 Hrbor Days in NYC. We spent both days sailing the Onrust around NY harbor with many Dutch ships to celebrate the Quadricentennial of Henry Hudson’s arrival in the New World in 1609. These boxes are made from White Oak (Quercus alba) with Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) insets in the lids. They are about 2.5” in diameter and height. They are finished with danish oil and buffed. They were made as gifts for the Dutch Royal Family, who were in NY for the festivties, as thank yous for their support of the Onrust Project. I hope they actually get them. I did not deliver them myself ;-))

Attachments

• Onrust boxes.jpg
    Onrust boxes.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 54
Those are great, Don but if they were going to be donated to the Royal Dutch family, why didn't you include some sort legend as the name of the ship and the date and the explanation that they come from the same wood. That always add interest to those pieces.

In Cologne ( Germany) they are restoring their cathedral and with the original stones they remove they make small cubes as stands for reproductions in resin of a small decorative part of the cathedral. They sell hundreds of them.

Thanks

Thanks for the nice comments.

Toni-I did include that information on a card I put in the box they were packaged in. I really hope the Royal Family actually get them.