Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burr elm hollow form

Burr elm hollow form

Burr elm hollow form with rippled sycamore neck
    5" tall by 4 1/4" wide

unfortunately I didn't have a choice with the neck-
    this burr has got the pith running through it just slightly of centre and it had developed a bad star shake as it had dried so the hollowing hole was right next to the shake and just crumbled- so to save the burr...... in went the neck.

35 views but no comments
    Any comment will do- if its not to your taste or you think it doesnt look right... i dont mind constructive criticisim it helps me to learn imo

Nice job..that wood is beautiful.
    The shape reminds me of an apple.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

That's a great piece of wood, and I think you did a fine job on it, especially considering you were forced into a redesign. Critique-wise, I think I'd prefer a shorter neck, but that's a personal preference thing. I'm sure others will prefer the longer neck.

(I"d have commented earlier, but I was out of town all day Saturday and missed seeing it until now.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Nice save by adding the neck.
    I agree with Vaughn on the shorter neck. I also think that a darker top would have looked better.

me not being a turner george ,,i shouldnt critque anything form you guys.. but i do see the apple look and think that the shorter or difernt stlye of neck piece ,perhaps just a shallow top would be better..it would take away the apple look.. curious as to how the buyers market look at it..perhaps the apple will be the selling point.. i would even name it the burr apple when yu display it.. that way the folks wont feel like they are seeing something that they arent supposed to..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

George - really like the natural shape to your HF. Beautiful wood - color and grain. Agree with a shorter neck and also with Mohammad's suggestion of a darker color so that it blends into the form instead of drawing attention to it.

As far as responses - it's always slower on the weekends as folks are out enjoying the weather while they can!
    Steve

thanks for the replies- i hadnt considerd the weekend weather playing a factor.
    I dont think it matters wether your a turner or not Larry all comments are welcomed.
    It never occoured to me to use a darker coloured wood for the neck- i just automatically wanted as much of a contrast as i coul dso went very light in colour but allot of people have said exactly the same thing i'll have to remeber it next time

Quote Originally Posted by George Watkins View Post
    thanks for the replies- i hadnt considerd the weekend weather playing a factor.
    I dont think it matters wether your a turner or not Larry all comments are welcomed.
    It never occoured to me to use a darker coloured wood for the neck- i just automatically wanted as much of a contrast as i coul dso went very light in colour but allot of people have said exactly the same thing i'll have to remeber it next time
    its still not to late to darken the top george, i have colored wood after the finish was on before..the only thing that might hinder it is if yu have waxed it but i am sure yu could figure out a way if you thought on it.. and then it would be even more sellable..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Hey George,
    Just saw your post... I agree with all that the neck distorts a great piece of work... it probably would have worked as a collar rather than a neck... otherwise, I like the turning... that's good looking wood.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.