Gloat

Billy Burt

Apparently I bookmarked the wrong URL and have been unable to get to this site since before Christmas. I did a little backtracking this morning and was able to reestablish contact so I thought I'd share this. My mustard monster was delivered a few days ago and is ready for me to begin throwing chips all over the shop. This thing is HEAVY, and quite! It also runs so smoothly you can barely tell it running. Hopefully I'll get a chance to turn something on it tomorrow. We've been busy all weekend and I haven't been able to get out to the shop.

Attachments

• PM3520B.jpg
    PM3520B.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 40
FIrs, thanks for the warm wishes, gang! I can't wait to break it in, but I have to make a little room in the shop first. It's sitting in the spot that I've had a partially completed bookcase for that last year (or two) for LOML. Once I started turning, my flat work took a back seat, but now I need to get the bookcase finished because I have no where else to put it and it's in the way.

Looks like a winning machine. Does the headstock also slide on the bed?

Yes, Alex, there is a Santa Cla... sorry, my bad... wrong story. Alex, the headstock does slide. Some of the larger lathes use a pivoting headstock so that 10) the turner can turn larger items, and 2) accessing the inside of the bowl is easier (no leaning over the ways). This one (and there are others, I believe) uses the sliding headtsock. Of course turning larger items requires either an outboard tool attachment, or a free standing tool rest. It will probably be a while before I try anthing that large, but I fully intend to utilize the end of the bed to make cutting through the inside of bowls easier.;)

Okay it's dirty now

Sort of. I finally got a chance to test out my new baby. Only had a few hours to play with it, but it's a start. Okay, so it's only a 9" hunk of spalted Maple, but I thought I'd better start small and work my way up to larger stuff. ;)

Attachments

• PM3520B2.jpg
    PM3520B2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 15