SHEEEEEEEESH

Bruce Shiverdecker

In Memorium
I just read in the paper that THE RECESSION IS OVER!AIN"T that great!

I don't think anyone here is aware that this happened!

Two shows (Last weekend and this one) - Last year netted over $1000.00

Last week three day total 200.00. Yesterday - BIG FAT ZERO. Today $41 dollars and had to twist the arm of an empolyee of the place holding the show to get that.

Last year the two shows drew in excess of 1500 visiters with money to spend - this year about 250 with their hands pushing holes in the bottom of their pockets!

Bruce

yup its over, my home value is down 30%, sales are down 65%, we cant afford any shows, my income is down 70%, I lost $20,000 in profit sharing at work last year and I owned GM stock :rofl:
But it's over and everything will be just fine.:rofl:

Geeze Bruce, you're not really giving me a warm fuzzy feeling about the shows I have coming up in the next month or so. :doh:I'm hoping this fall will be better than last fall, since last fall was about as low as I thought the art show market could get. (And this fall I don't have a day job to fall back on.) :rolleyes:

Sorry to see your shows were slow...here's hoping the next ones will be better.

They just said yesterday here in Maine that the unemployment rate in Maine jumped and is the highest its ever been.

In my 35 years of life, I have noticed to economy indicators...the price of wood which is dictated by the housing market, and the price of milk which is driven by consumers and how much they drink, eat ice cream, buy pizza's, etc...

Last year I cut a load of wood and made 952 dollars. My last load of wood (10 cords) being the same species and size; gave me 215 dollars...And spruce sawlogs, they were going for 365 dollars per 1000 bf last year. This year $165...For many Mainer's its always been a thing, if you lost your job you went out in the woods and cut wood, but now there is no market, and by rights since the logging industry is the first to go, its also the first to come back. I have yet to see that happen.

And milk. No need to type a lot on this. We were getting $24 cwt last year. This year it is $13 cwt...it costs us about $18 cwt to produce milk. Its pretty discouraging to work 24/7/365 and still lose money!

The rest I can't say because as others have said, there is no way to continue without getting into blasphemous political discussion!

I know the "It's Over" message is what came out, I heard that too, but something tells me the actual thought is that "We have hit bottom". We still have to climb out of the hole. And I'm of the opinion that it will not be overnight, for all of us. Jim.

No politics in my rant just complete and total frustration for having busted my hump trying to make life better for my family for the past 40 years and seeing it all go down the drain.
At 60 it's a little late to start over.

No politics in mine, either.

Only have next Saturday and possibly a winter show (they don't even send out applications till mid October), then I'm done for this year. Have to wait and see.

Also looks like I'll be closing the school, too. Only five students since July. Doesn't even start to cover the rent.

Bruce

ps: Sorry Vaughn

Probably a hint in mine I would have to say, but its pretty hard to discuss farming and not politics...the two are interconnected wayyyyyy too much. That being said, I am pretty tame, head over to the AgDay discussion group and you'll see far worse.

If it's over why is my company still laying people off along with other companies with whom I have contacts with. Must be the new math.:eek::huh::dunno::doh:!

I haven't seen ANYTHING Political in any Post in this thread, just folks stating The Facts of Life as it is today and NO blame has been aimed at anyone. I too think that even if the "RECESSION" as such, "is over", that it will take a long time for the economy to crawl back up to something close to normal. Unfortunately, it's not just us here in the good ole U S of A that are in this predicament, but Most of the other countries around the world are too, and that really hurts our exporting opportunities which are direly needed for us to even begin to work our way out of the hole we have dug for ourselves here. The situation we are all in is very Frustrating, to say the least.