New plane and it's a Sweethart!

Tom Niemi

Staff member
Finally bought my very first new plane, a 60 1/2 low angle block plane :D I have some end grain to work on on my countertop and this should fill the ticket:thumb: I have a few older ones, 2 fultons and a craftsman that were my granddad's and a stanley #5 that my son just picked up for me and 2 other block planes that I dont thing are of much good:dunno: anyway here are some pics of the new kid on the block and the others.

Attachments

• Sweethart 1.jpg
    Sweethart 1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Sweethart 2.jpg
    Sweethart 2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 35
  • All the kids.jpg
    All the kids.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 33
Nice one Tom:thumb::) Now for the edumacation. Where did you find that baby? I always thought that Stanley was no longer. Sure am surprized.
With all the visibility to Woodcrafts new planes and the Lee Valley and Lie Nielson planes and the many others out there this is the first brand new Stanley i have seen.

Have lots of fun with it.;)

Looks good Tom, I hope you get years of use out of it! :wave:
Sure hope to Stu, played with it on some Jarrah end grain and make a smooth end

Nice one Tom:thumb::) Now for the edumacation. Where did you find that baby? I always thought that Stanley was no longer. Sure am surprized.

I got this at Woodcraft Rob. I looked at their woodriver version and it was a steeper angle and smaller, drooled over the Lie Nielson, it was out of my price range, and the sweethart :D yep just right. And as Stanley no longer, I don't know the history but they are still making planes:)

Exciting Headline

Not trying to hijack this wonderful thread so please just stay on the wood plane topic and do not respond to the Aero part.

I see "New Plane" headline and know someone has decided to build a new plane and jump right on it to read all the cool things.

Then I get back to woodworld and see what it is.

While you guys post some beautiful planes and I have seen the very thin even shaves these things can do.

This is a Plane.

Homebuilt by me. Mostly foam and fiberglass like a surf board. Very little wood or metal.

Althrough America's first civilian astronaut "Mike Meville" started out by building an all wood predessor to this plane. Shows you that you never know where things lead to.

Attachments

• longez.jpg
    longez.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 16
yur hooked!!!

yu may6 not know it yet tom but your in the basket now.. the fish basket that is. once you start gettin some good shavings with that new plane ,you will look at planes witha whole new out look. and they will be i your hands more each project you embark on. congrates and those that your grand dad had will work once again, and will make your ancestors up stairs smile again..:thumb:

Yep I am finding there is a need for hand planes, I'm just not smart enough to realize what all I can use them on yet:p Some day Larry, I will have you give me a "plane 101" lesson on setup and sharpening of these:)

That's one sweet plane! Nice get. I've been waiting for those to come out to start to hear some feedback on them. They look like they're made well - machining and fit/finish. On a block plane in particular, the added heft of thick castings really makes a big difference.
Looking forward to hearing about it once you've broken it in.
About Stanley planes in general, i know they're recent bench planes weren't anything to write home about, but i bought a standard angle block plane with the adjustable mouth brand new about 10 or 12 years ago and have been impressed by how it performs, adjusts, and fits my hand. In all honesty, i reach for my Veritas low angle block more often than the Stanley, but i think that has more to do with it's cutting angle than the way it performs.
Have fun with it.
paulh