Hey Southern Boys and Bells...

They are headed your way. Last week I saw my first flock of geese headed south, and this is the third straight day in a row we had frost.

The women folk are trying to get me to turn on the heat but there is no way I am turning on the darn heat until October. No way, no how even if the temps in the rooms are 57 degrees. I tell them "Put on a sweatshirt", or if they really are cold, go outside and snuggle with a sheep, heck they got thick wool sweaters!

As for the leaves, yep nice bright red color to the swamp maples, and the the rest of the trees are quickly changing color. The air is crisp, the days getting short and we all know what happens to the ewes when that happens. Yep, the Ram has been let out of his pen...and we will leave it at that.

It is definitely fall, for better or worse its headed south!

Not sure where you are in Maine Travis. I assume I'm a bit farther south.
Geese are leaving here as well. We have a good size pond in our back yard and they honk like crazy then take off, make a few circles of the pond and fly south.
Just starting to get a bit of color in the leaves.
As far as the heat goes, I stomp my feet and tell my wife no heat until Halloween.....It went on last night :rolleyes:

HEAT?? My gosh, it's still in the 80's most days.

I saw a few ducks this week paddling and a few geese too while out paddling this past week. I know it is fall when I see the Coots arrive. ;)

We've had Canada Geese all summer around my area... 'course in this area we have lots of 'halfbacks'... they move from the north to the deep south, then decide it's too hot down there and move back half way... puts them in east Tennessee??

I'll be glad when our Geese leave, then we can clean up what they leave behind (or leaves their behinds)

Some stay all year but I have been hearing Cyotes lately so maybe they will deminish considerably.

I am not a fan of foul making fowl. Nor am I a fan of winter coming on....

Thanks Travis, for reminding me that I have to go rake leaves...

Still running the AC here, but not at night.

Heat??? We'll be on A/C for a few more weeks before even thinking about heat! I guess I'll have to switch to my Winter shorts in about another month! :D

As to the geese, we have some variety here year-round. It gets kinda noisy when they decide to migrate from the pond to the South of us over to one to the North. It's all of about a mile as the crow (goose?) flies so don't know why they bother! :dunno:

Jeez, Travis, you had to remind me. It will be firewood gathering time soon...need about 5 cords to get me through winter. Winter...worst curse word I know. I'm like you, I don't start the heat going until October...can always huddle up with a sheep (well, I can't, so I put on another sheeps-wool sweater). My problem with winter isn't so much the cold but the snow. I don't do any snow sports, so all it means to me is wasting time pushing it around with the blade and shoveling it. And I mean a waste of time. After it all melts, what have I got to show for all that time...and at my age, the clock is ticking louder. Okay, I know, I could move to Arizona or back to California, but really I can't...and actually I don't want to. Born and raised in the northeast, and it just feels like home. Doesn't mean I have to like winter. You know what, though...I do enjoy the first snowfall...something exciting about it, especially if it's those huge wet flakes. I take off walking. Unfortunately it quickly loses its glitter and becomes drudge. Sigh.

The geese in SE Pennsylvania don't really migrate, although they think they do. They flock up, make all kinds of noise, and eventually hunker down. They're actually becoming a pest around here because of the mess they make. I enjoy that flocking up stuff, though...it's neat to see and hear a sky full of Canadian geese. There's a small pond on my place, and in the spring a pair always decides to make a family there. That's also fun to watch...sometimes I see the little furballs, but the foxes around here make short work of their work. Not a bad thing, since we're overpopulated anyway, and foxes have to eat too.

No frost around here yet, and there's been so much rain that everything is still green. Some signs of fall foliage, but you have to look close. This time of year, though, it won't be long. I'm planning a 4-day backpack in north central PA in about 3 weeks if the rain monster will go back in his cave, and am hoping for spectacular fall foliage for that.

I'd say I hope you have a mild winter, but I know you're a snow-mobiler...so I hope you have lots of snow but keep it up there, please.

Cheers.