My first turned item, a pen.

allen levine

I wish I had some friction high gloss, but only had wax. Its far from perfect, but my wife is thrilled with it. Only had to watch the video twice to figure out how to mount the mandrel and bushings. Rosewood came with the starter kit.
Im sorry about the quality of the pictures,wish I could get a better shot.(My attempt to make the lower part a bit beefier for holding while writing, well, came close to what I wanted.)

Attachments

• wood stuff 1318 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1318 (Medium).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 44
  • wood stuff 1319 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1319 (Medium).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 59
Allen,

Good looking pen although I’m not sure of the exact color because of the background. Hope my first attempt approaches your standard. Why don’t I find out? I’ll try to turn my first pen this week. I don’t know enough about pens, so would you tell me what style and metal finish that is?

Pens:huh:what do you mean pens:dunno: I thought you said you got the lathe to turn legs:rolleyes: and now your already expanding. I bet a bowl is next:eek: Gone from the flat side for good I bet:p:rofl::rofl::rofl: No really, nice pen Allen, and making the first project one for the wifey.........class act:thumb:

Hey Allen,
Welcome to our world...very nice pen... Ms. Allen will enjoy it for a long long time.
I did pens for a number of years with only the HUT wax finish (before I joined the various forums I frequent and learned about CA).. I always put 6 - 10 coats of each wax on the pen so I got a really good shine.
I now use a CA finish and like that much better. Personally, don't care for the lacquer finish, but a lot of turners get some fantastic finishes using the lacquer.

One suggestion on your photo... the background is so loud it overshadows your pen...

Pens:huh:what do you mean pens:dunno: I thought you said you got the lathe to turn legs:rolleyes: and now your already expanding. I bet a bowl is next:eek: Gone from the flat side for good I bet:p:rofl::rofl::rofl: No really, nice pen Allen, and making the first project one for the wifey.........class act:thumb:

uh.............It only took me 10 minutes today to realize why all the turners get so addicted.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1320 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1320 (Medium).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 19
  • wood stuff 1321 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1321 (Medium).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 19
Excellent Allen!!!!!! It is instant gratification isn't it??!!! Very addictive and if you ask ten penturners how to finish, you might only get fifteen answers. Christmas presents, here comes Allen!!!! Just a little sidenote, Pete Simmons can engrave names and line drawings on pens, man does it make them personal treasures then! Mrs. Allen would really be surprised with that!!!! Dang, there goes that supplier of pen blanks!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Allen,

Good looking pen although I’m not sure of the exact color because of the background. Hope my first attempt approaches your standard. Why don’t I find out? I’ll try to turn my first pen this week. I don’t know enough about pens, so would you tell me what style and metal finish that is?

I dont know much about pens, Ive been contacting pen makers here for advice. I purchased a pen starter kit, only because I really had no clue how to buy a mandrel or bushings, and didnt want to waste money getting wrong things. The kit from Penn, was comparable to kits from rockler or woodcraft.
Penn sent me a free dvd, and that made it pretty easy.
I think the pens are called 7mm slimline design.
I only have the one mandrel, 7mm, so thats the only style I will be making for now. Im going to contact a few other pen suppliers and see what they have to offer now that I have the basic equipment.

jon, you want more blanks of walnut , maple or sapele/mahogany, you got them.
I just have to cut it all down. Its not like Im going to knock out 300 pens.
(Ill cut up the rest of the ipe in the bin also if you care for it)
Id like a few names engraved on pens, maybe Ill look him up.

Thanks, Allen. I have slowly been buying what I think I need and almost have everything, but the pen kit. I’m going to it my local Woodcraft tomorrow and get the rest. I think I'll start with the American Classic style.

Guys, try Woodturningz.com

They are located here in Indiana. Great folks, get on their email and they email their specials. They have great prices on entry level pens and that is what my students turn mainly.