Thread: How to Finish Cabinets?

How to Finish Cabinets?

I was wondering what can be done with slightly faded and worn looking cabinets ? They were custom made along time back and when i asked about refacing them i was told that it would be to costly and so would be installing new cabinets. The suggestion from the one contractor would be to refinish them myself. I just dont see myself wanting to try to sand down all those cabinets and doors so i thought i would see if anyone has any suggestions on going over the existing finish ?

Thanks Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Counter-1.jpg   Counter-2.jpg   Counter-3.jpg   Counter-4.jpg  
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

acetone would probably take that varnish right off.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    For stripping I use a product I get from True Value called Daqd's Spray stripper. It's got a fair amount of Metholyne Chloride in it. Put down plastic and spray it one let it siet a few secodns and scrape away the old finish. Sand to 220 and finish. Wear rubber gloves.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Looks like good solid maple cabinets. Like Don said spray stripper then denature alcohol with scrubby pad to remove the stripper after you use the broad knife to remove the stripped finish. The denature alcohol will rinse the doors good and not raise the grain. Plus quicken the drying time. Then sand with 220 seal 3 coats and then 320 and finish. Maple cabinets look great natural.

I am going to do them as suggested - Thank you Dan
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Thank you Dan for bring up the subject. Don and Dave boy you guys know your stuff and are a wealth of information. Glad you guys are around and on our side. I have always been concerned about how to go about stripping, Have an old ball and claw drop side table from my Mom that i would like to clean up with new coat. Now i know how. Dave on the denatured stuff can i use something else. Here in Canada the Feds think we will drink grain spirit even if its got some poison in it so its hard to come by. I can get the methylhydrate stuff but that is petrolium based not grain alcohol.?
    cheers

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Rob, with metholyne chloride you can use water to rinse it off but you may need to use a second coat.
    I use water all the time, I take the piece out side and hose it off. I use a scraper and a stiff brush b4 I hose it off. Or you could just use some cheap vodka..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Acetone is a good product to strip with , but it evaporates so fast you work one area about 1'x1' at a time with a purple stripey pad. I will use acetone for large conference tables that will not fit in the stripier tank. It also is great for the fact that no grain will rise on the wood.

both are great ideas and im going to try it soon.......

Dan , do you have any work done on the cabinets yet. With all that great weather you guy in Ca get you should be done by now.