0 0%
  • Maybe depending on the price

8 29.63%
  • Not prepared to say for fear of hurting his feelings

2 7.41%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Tool Gloat

New Tool Gloat

Well as they say in the classics i couldnt resist. So i discovered Ebay. Woe is me.

I know the Spinny thing is a vortex but i am discovering this plane thing is another one.

So i got sucked into the Plane vortex without much knowledge but it was all Chris Schwarz's fault. He says in his book flatten the cup in your workbench with a plane and it feels better when you have someone else to blame dont it. He made me do it....thats what my sons always say.

Well I wanted to take the Ambassadors advice and did up to a point. Looked up Patrick Blood and it got me started down a slipperly slope. Torn between the past and loyalty to my favorite Canadian "mens jewelry store" LV I found the excitement of the Ebay auction too much to withstand.

Some of you will note my deleted post of yesterday in which i desperately tried to reach out to the "Brain Trust" here for advice on my purchase without trying to disclose the source but none was coming due to timing of my need. Hey I was down to 20 minutes in this auction.

So after being hooked with both line and sinker I fell for it and pulled the trigger.

Now, i have a LV Block Plane, and of course the great smoothing plane the Ambassador sent me, along with the handed down Stanley smoothing plane that my Dad gave me dating back to WW2 but none of these suites the honourable Mr Schwarz for flattening a workbench. Noooooo.

No he says in his book i need to get another one.

So I sprung for a jointer. A real sweetheart. Yup a Stanley Sweetheart No7. Probably paid way too much for it but it was much less than getting a new one from LV and I thought traddition, recycling, collecting and recession and sentimental were all good words going through my mind at the time of the auction. Darn near lost it near the end of the auction. I had pipped the other bidder earlier on and he/she had gone away. Then i learned fast about an ebay auction. You need to stay live in those last minutes. At one point i lost it and had my screen to the forum open hoping someone would respond to my post and say forget it Rob its junk but that saving voice was not forthcoming. The urge to win superceded my sensibility and I succumbed to the delight of being the victor.
    Now a day later i suffer from buyers remorse.

Should i or should i as they say on TV YOU BE THE JUDGE.

So go ahead and answer my poll......what the heck you need as much knowledge of Planes as me and thats is none.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails !B,eG(TwBmk~$(KGrHgoH-DwEjlLl)fO9BKrn5VYdGQ~~_3.jpg   !B,eGKn!BWk~$(KGrHqIH-DIEqtC+i7rVBKrn4yEHIQ~~_3.jpg   !B,eGMZwBGk~$(KGrHgoH-EIEjlLlzEZJBKrn43G-ng~~_3.jpg   !B,eGNugBWk~$(KGrHqMH-DMEquRtMS7SBKrn468Y!Q~~_3.jpg   !B,eGPOgB2k~$(KGrHqIH-CoEquZ7NEfiBKrn4-0sFQ~~_3.jpg  

!B,eGQmwCGk~$(KGrHqEH-CcEquP)Kt8zBKrn5Cukog~~_3.jpg   !B,eGRw!BGk~$(KGrHgoH-CMEjlLl0rDjBKrn5G!pJQ~~_3.jpg   !B,eGTP!BWk~$(KGrHgoH-E!EjlLl0T+JBKrn5KLPRw~~_3.jpg   !B,eGYqQCGk~$(KGrHqQH-CgEqszl1WnFBKrn5ZHsL!~~_3.jpg   !B,eGZ7w!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CcEjlLl4lRpBKrn5cmJdQ~~_3.jpg  

cheers

Didn't vote. Like do I know anything about planes?
    Answer: No.
    I follow the plane threads only out of a sense of wonderment that folks get so excited over them.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Did not vote Rob. Don't know diddly about planes (or trains for that matter!!!). Maybe will learn something on the 29th. Have a couple planes, probably junkers, but never got curlies from them.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

You don't say what you paid, so good buy, or not, is unknown. Do you feel good about the plane, or not?

What you have there is a pretty nice example of Type 13 - a generally sought-after era in the Stanley history - manufactured between 1921 & 1922.

Walter's Stanley "guide" (1994 edition) puts the value (then) at ~ US$150.00 for a pristine example, which yours looks to be.

I have two #7's (neither as nice as yours) in my 'collection,' and I use them often. They're my "go to" jointers.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I voted "Yes" because you sure seem happy!

Don't matter what "YOU" paid for it, if "YOU" are happy with the price, great!

I'd sure like to add one of those to my collection, but they very seldom come up on auction here in Japan, and when they do, the go for more than a NEW LV does, so that makes my choice simple
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Looked up Patrick Blood ...
    Patrick Blood?

Rob, my first ever hand plane was from Pat Leach (who I think you mean, since he is the author of "Patricks' Blood and Gore") way back in '97. And I was totally satisfied with the quality of what he sold me.

But yeah, cheapie yard sale or flea market hand planes just don't seem to pop up around here like they do in the NE USA. I was in Mass back in '99 and managed to stop by Falcon-Wood and browse their store. I couldn't believe the number of handtools they had on display. Picked up a #7c jointer at the time.

But I confess, I don't use them as much as I used to. I've got a few more "tailed beasts" now that get a lot of use.

...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I only have 2 planes a Stanley Block plane and a Jack. The both get used quite a bit. A little while back I had a Tundle table come into the shop for furb and the top was in sad shape. Normaly I take the top off and send em out to have them sanded on a wide bed but the way this table was made it wasn't possible. I looked at my belt sander and was prepared to use it when all of a sudden I looked on the wall and saw the jack sitting there. It made short work of the top. came out flat and smooth as a baby's bottom.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Didn't vote. Like do I know anything about planes?
    Answer: No.
    I follow the plane threads only out of a sense of wonderment that folks get so excited over them.
    Aw come on now Frank you dont need knowledge to vote on this it wont hurt my feelings....just a bit of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Did not vote Rob. Don't know diddly about planes (or trains for that matter!!!). Maybe will learn something on the 29th. Have a couple planes, probably junkers, but never got curlies from them.
    Whats this Jonathan a mini seminar in the offing at Larrys place on the 29th mmmmm this could be motivation to travel to MI. And hey like I said to Frank you dont need nuthing to be able to vote. I bought it without knowing nuthing so you certainly can vote in this one with the same credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    You don't say what you paid, so good buy, or not, is unknown. Do you feel good about the plane, or not?

What you have there is a pretty nice example of Type 13 - a generally sought-after era in the Stanley history - manufactured between 1921 & 1922.

Walter's Stanley "guide" (1994 edition) puts the value (then) at ~ US$150.00 for a pristine example, which yours looks to be.

I have two #7's (neither as nice as yours) in my 'collection,' and I use them often. They're my "go to" jointers.
    Now thanks Jim you are my new "Best Friend" cause i will spill the beans and tell you I paid all of $127 US for it. But the shipping pushed it up some more. I know I should add the shipping in but that depends on where one stays and hey we are a long way from the market here in Canada. So i guess this idiots buy was not bad based on your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I voted "Yes" because you sure seem happy!

Don't matter what "YOU" paid for it, if "YOU" are happy with the price, great!
    Stu you read me correct. I am happy because i want to finish my workbench and this was stopping me from flattening it. Yeah i could have used my router but sentiment in me wanted to do the old way. At the time I felt the price was a bit high especially when i added in the shipping but what the heck i got two for one. I enjoyed the game of purchasing it and I hope to enjoy using it. I dont have a wide belt sander or a belt sander so this will be the tool of choice for flattening wide panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Patrick Blood?

Rob, my first ever hand plane was from Pat Leach (who I think you mean, since he is the author of "Patricks' Blood and Gore") way back in '97. And I was totally satisfied with the quality of what he sold me.
    ...art
    Yup Art you got the right guy. I read his site but wish i had called him at the time. Just my paranoia kicked in. I love the name he has for his site.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I only have 2 planes a Stanley Block plane and a Jack. The both get used quite a bit. A little while back I had a Tundle table come into the shop for furb and the top was in sad shape. Normaly I take the top off and send em out to have them sanded on a wide bed but the way this table was made it wasn't possible. I looked at my belt sander and was prepared to use it when all of a sudden I looked on the wall and saw the jack sitting there. It made short work of the top. came out flat and smooth as a baby's bottom.
    Don I am hoping this baby will do the same for my workbench top.

Well I guess judging from the serious responses i got on this post, Planes are not something to be taken lightly on this forum.

I was expecting a little roasting here to celebrate this purchase. Maybe Tuesdays toooo early in the week to be light hearted but hey this is the way to live a long life and keep a positive mood.

I am just hoping this plane is what i need it to be. Will post pictures when i get the real thing. Being shipped today. Stand by for an update on it and its working on the bench.

Thanks for all the comments and the votes....if you aint voted please have a go the poll closes in 5 days Then this will all be a piece of history just like the plane.
    cheers

It is a good deal as long as the person thinks they got a good deal - Until someone tells them that they did not and the person believes them .

Hi Rob.

I understand pretty well your feelings, and I stated mine some posts ago.

About two years ago I got a Bedrock nº 7, at ebay in much poor state than that one and I brought it back to life with success.

I've used it several times, and I've used it a lot on my seven drawer dresser, the only thing I can say is that moving that monster makes you sweat and build up biceps.
    Make sure you wax the sole often when planing your bench.

And last but not least, PLANES ARE ADDICTIVE, and when they team with ebay even more.

Some days ago I bid 150$ out of desperation for a Bedrock 5 1/2 to regret it inmediately after, and to breath of relief when I didn't win the auction.

I have to keep on telling myself "I do not need more planes" but I like restoring them so I have to restrain myself, or I would go broke.

Extremely expensive ones are easy to say no to them, like holteys, sauer & steiner or even norris infills, but those which price is in between "cheap" and "expensive" are the worst to resist.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...