Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: computer frustration

computer frustration

Yesterday we had a local professional geek come to the house to basically 'clean house' on my wife's computer. While here, she did some clean up on mine also even though it was in good shape.
    After leaving, I uninstalled the printer on wife's 'puter and began installation for a new one, a Kodak. Install took a long-long time. Then, when the instructions said to, I connected the USB cord and clicked 'next'. The program did a search for the new printer but came up saying it was not connected. Tried several times, wiggled connections, said all the correct dirty words, held mouth right, etc. Still to no avail.
    So, right now, I am reinstalling. Has been 'installing' for about an hour. The loading bar said "2 minutes remaining", now it is saying "13 minutes remaining". That notice has been up for about half an hour. And, I'm not optimistic that, even with a new USB cord, the program will recognize the printer being connected.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Do not know if you have tried this trick but shut the whole system down and restart the system up after being off for about a minute. Do not do a restart but a shut down. Once the PC has restarted, turn on the printer to see if the PC finds it. This may not fix it but it is an easy item to try and sometimes in a double blue moon all will be well again.

Good luck

Mark

LOML has an HP All-In_One. The instructions even said the discovery process could take up to 45 minutes!!! It took an hour. Patience is a virtue; I interrupted the thing 3 times because I thought for sure it must be stuck. HP tech support was helpful in that they said the install program stinks and takes about an hour ;-( I liked it better when memory was restricted and storage was expensive. Programmers had to be efficient. Now many products are a sloppy mess.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wingate View Post
    Do not know if you have tried this trick but shut the whole system down and restart the system up after being off for about a minute. Do not do a restart but a shut down. Once the PC has restarted, turn on the printer to see if the PC finds it. This may not fix it but it is an easy item to try and sometimes in a double blue moon all will be well again.

Good luck

Mark
    Oh, yeh. The old reboot trick. Did it several times.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Just like the good old days. Spending a whole day, or more, to install a printer. Ain't technology great.

What system are you running Frank? Vista?, XP? I can ask my kid about the problem as he is my computer guru and was one of the head computer techs at future shop. He might have some suggestions. I know i just hand everything off to him now and let him deal with all the coputer problems. Unfortunatly he just moved out and i have to book an appointment to get him to look at my system now.
    Last edited by Drew Watson; 09-22-2009 at 06:45 PM.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Make sure the printer is ON before pluging in the usb.

Did all of above, and more. Spent about four hours with a tech support guy, you know the kind. Never did get it working. Line finally went dead. That was my excuse to pack it up and return.
    Saw a Lexmark that looked nice, and they have a reputation for good color printing. But, cartridges were about 25% smaller than HP and cost $10.00 more.
    I don't want to go back to HP because we are replacing a two year old printer that they have discontinued cartridges for. I ain't happy with them either.
    Will check out Dell in the a.m.

When I got the Mac Mini, I hooked up all the wires and cable there were hooked up to the PC laptop it was replacing, and installed the KVM switch, so I could share the Keyboard, Video (monitor) and Mouse with the shop's window's computer.

A couple of days later, when I was finished entering the tobacco order on the Mac Mini computer, online, I realized I needed to print out the confirmation page..........

Oh heck, I'd not installed the printer on the Mac Mini yet

My experience up to that point is similar to yours Frank, installing printers can be a real time waster.

I opened the "System Preferences" on the Mac Mini went to the "Printers" section, and much to my surprise the Brother MFC7420 was already installed, ready to go

It printed the tobacco order without any problems, what did I do to accomplish this.....

All I did was plug in the USB cable, and Bob's your Uncle, the printer was installed

Just one of the reasons I'll not be putting my hard earned cash down on a new Windows machine for the foreseeable future

Sorry, I'm not trying to rub anyone's nose in anything, I'm just showing how it "SHOULD" work, I'm very positive that Mac has issues with some stuff too, but it has been 9 months now and I've not found any really big problems
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    That was my excuse to pack it up and return.
    Saw a Lexmark that looked nice, and they have a reputation for good color printing.
    Oh, for goodness sake's Frank!

A little research will save you a lot of trouble!

http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,2806,10,00.asp

http://review.zdnet.com/filter/printers?categoryId=3155

http://reviews.cnet.com/printers/

Thanks,

Bill