mahogany end table

Here's a few pics of an end table that I'm nearly finished with. I still need a few coats on the top. The wood is mahogany. I applied a dye mix to darken it up. If I build another I'll make a few modifications to the design.

Attachments

• mahogany end table 001 (Medium).jpg
    mahogany end table 001 (Medium).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 65
  • mahogany end table 004 (Medium).jpg
    mahogany end table 004 (Medium).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 71
  • mahogany end table 006 (Medium).jpg
    mahogany end table 006 (Medium).jpg
    29 KB · Views: 60
  • John Daugherty mahogany end table 008 (Medium) rotated.jpg
    John Daugherty mahogany end table 008 (Medium) rotated.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
Here, here. Very nice piece. Mahogany is great to work with, isn't it?

Yes, the mahogany was great to work with. This is the second time I ever built anything using it. The first was a shaker wall clock. It was the first thing I ever built. Ignorant me, I thought it was cherry. In my defense however it was recycled wood from an old dresser and the only wood I'd ever built anything with was white pine.

This mahogany is some great looking stuff. The top is two boards. They were a little over 12 inches wide each and 16 foot long and all clear. The guy let me have it for 5 buck per bdft. I thought it was a good deal.

Yes, the mahogany was great to work with. This is the second time I ever built anything using it. The first was a shaker wall clock. It was the first thing I ever built. Ignorant me, I thought it was cherry. In my defense however it was recycled wood from an old dresser and the only wood I'd ever built anything with was white pine.

This mahogany is some great looking stuff. The top is two boards. They were a little over 12 inches wide each and 16 foot long and all clear. The guy let me have it for 5 buck per bdft. I thought it was a good deal.

12 inches wide and all clear, you got a very fair and good price.
You should have taken another few boards.
In my short time working with hardwoods, I think mahogany has beautiful color, grain, and characteristics, and your table shows them off so well.
Beautiful piece of work, thankyou for sharing it.

Bravo! Great job, John. :clap:

By the way, I took the liberty of rotating the last picture so the table leg is going up and down instead of sideways. :)

well done, i too like the leg detail, and have question as to why yu left the reveal on the bread board ends at the top of the table rather than the bottom..the 1/8" or so that makes a ridge on the end.. just looking out for the cleaning lady:)

Very Nice Work !

That's a very nice table John. I too am a big fan of Greene & Greene designs. You have adapted them really nicely. I actually like your version of the cloud lift in your aprons better that the originals.:thumb:

Thanks for the comments guys.

have question as to why yu left the reveal on the bread board ends at the top of the table rather than the bottom..the 1/8" or so that makes a ridge on the end.. just looking out for the cleaning lady:)

Larry you can thank the Greene boys for the proud bread boards. I thought about making them flush with the rest of the top but went with tradition. I hope it doesn't make any beverages tipsy or the cleaning lady will be really ticked.

One of the changes I would make would be to put plugs on the legs at the apron. I was going to do that but I forgot. I glued the base up and realized what I had done and decided a "design modification" was in order, so I left them out.

Vaughn, thanks for rotating the picture of the leg. I meant to do that and forgot.