Question about Reeves adjustments

Chuck Ellis

I'm not overly mechanically inclined, so hopefully we have some here who are and can help.
I have a Jet 1442 with the Reeves speed control. It works fine, except at high speed the handled is in the way.
My problem is when I go back down to the slowest speed - 450 rpms - I feel that it is turning faster than that. I have a little Jet mini that sits right next to the 1442 and it's slowest speed is 500 rpms, but it seems slower than the big lathe. I've opened the cover and I think that at 450 rpms, the belt is supposed to be right at the top of pulleys. I can't figure out how or where you make adjustments to make that happen...
450 is too fast to start a big bowl, but it's slowest I can go... except I don't think I'm getting that slow..
Any Help?:dunno:

What you are experiencing is in the design of that particular machine.
My old Grizzly G1067Z also had that annoying feature of the handle being in the way of working when at it's highest setting. Methinks the design unjuneer who drew it up never worked at a lathe. Deal with it or get a new lathe.
In the price range of your lathe, like my old Griz, yes, the low speed is much too fast for big bowls, especially out of balance blanks.
Other than replacing the lathe with something more expensive, there really isn't a solution.
As much as I liked my old Griz, especially the purchase price, when I sold my antique tractor I used the proceeds to upgrade.
It all depends on what you want to do.
For the money, and in it's class, your Jet is a great lathe.

Check that the spring loaded pulley on the motor is opening fully, the belt should be at the bottom of the Vee, just clear of the motor shaft. (lubrication)
Check that the spindle pulley is fully closing, fixed half may have moved on spindle.(check grub screws)

If the above is OK can you move the motor slightly nearer the headstock to slacken the belt, allowing it to ride further up the head shaft pulley before bottoming on the motor shaft.

Don't know design details of your particular lathe but can you by any chance relocate the actuating fork on the lever shaft to move the speed range over a notch so that the handle is not in the way.

EDIT: Just a thought reading the last, has the fork arm slipped on the operating leaver shaft, not unknown for the grub screw to work loose on clones over here and not allow the head shaft pulley to fully close.

Last edited:
I like the lathe a lot, I was just wondering if there is an adjustment to the Reeves pulleys to make the belt go to the top at low speed... I don't think mine is adjusted right because the belt isn't at the highest point when I go to slow.

450 is too fast to start a big bowl, but it's slowest I can go.

Chuck,

You may or may not be able to slow yours down (the set screw check idea is a good one). I slowed mine down a little by taking mine apart and moving the handle one notch over.

But it's still way too fast for a big bowl. Then I figured out that it's the first ten minutes with a big unbalanced blank that are scary. After that, 550-600 is fine. Solution? I do a fair amount of work with the blank on the bandsaw first. Yeah, it's cheating, but you'd be surprised how far you can get with a 14" bandsaw when the extension's on it and the table's tilted! :thumb:

Thnaks,

Bill

Check that the spring loaded pulley on the motor is opening fully, the belt should be at the bottom of the Vee, just clear of the motor shaft. (lubrication)
Check that the spindle pulley is fully closing, fixed half may have moved on spindle.(check grub screws)

If the above is OK can you move the motor slightly nearer the headstock to slacken the belt, allowing it to ride further up the head shaft pulley before bottoming on the motor shaft.

Don't know design details of your particular lathe but can you by any chance relocate the actuating fork on the lever shaft to move the speed range over a notch so that the handle is not in the way.

EDIT: Just a thought reading the last, has the fork arm slipped on the operating leaver shaft, not unknown for the grub screw to work loose on clones over here and not allow the head shaft pulley to fully close.

Chas,
Thanks for the comments.. I'll open the cover and see what I can see.. as I said, mechanics isn't one of my strong suits, but I do enough to get in trouble and usually with a little guidance can accomplish things.

First project is going to have to be a new switch on the little belt sander... I use it to sharpen my tools. It's been a little hinky the last few days and last night it quite completely. I've pulled the switch, just have to go to hardware and hope they have similar one.

I like the lathe a lot, I was just wondering if there is an adjustment to the Reeves pulleys to make the belt go to the top at low speed... I don't think mine is adjusted right because the belt isn't at the highest point when I go to slow.

You do need to familiarize yourself with what it looks like. Be sure you are on lowest speed, unplug power, open cover and look. Turn by hand. Use a high quality lube on shaft. If belt is badly frayed, now would be a good time to replace. (OTOH, it is amazing how long they will work almost completely frayed) If you can find, get industrial air compressor belts. Otherwise good automotive belts are fine.
If you need to replace, just cut off old one, open top pulley with handle and slip new one on.
As for speed. I believe there is a digital read out tool that is used by car mechanics. You just hold it on the machine and it gives an RPM reading.
But, my long range mental telepathy guess is saying you don't have a problem.

That speed handle issue on the Jet1442 - I contacted Jet to ask if it was a viable solution to cut the handle off and weld it to the other side of the fitting. They said 'yes' and told me the present position of the handle was a design error that they are trying to address. I didn't cut the handle in the end - I got used to it and don't really notice it now.

Brendan