• Yes Larry is preparing to take the plunge into the vortex

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • No, he dont have what it takes to join the spinny guys

• He's just and undercover lathe salesman from big Yella

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • (for the serious amongst us) Larry is just funning you

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • He is trying to send his Boss (read it the way you like) a hint of a present (Christmas or retiremen

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Other (then make your point in the thread attached

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Please stop all these polls I am tired of them

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rob Keeble

I took the bait to create some debate as to the answer to the big IF.

Seems our dear friend and Ambassador the one and only Larry is nearing the edge of the dreaded spinny vortex. I spotted a huge IF in this post on Jonathans find of a Jet lathe deal.

Now he gave a way quiet a few clues that have me guessing he is on the edge.

1) He reads what the spinny guys post and say.
2) He admits to storing the info away for later use.
3) He even makes statements about particular machines by name and model number.
4) He has even assesed the tool budget and determined how long its going to take to save to be able to secure one of these.
5) This is a stretch (but somewhat indicative of a detective behavior) he is reading posts on lathes for sale.
6) He is stashing all that fine wood and finding out by sending blanks to all the spinny guys for comments, which wood is good to keep for turning and which is not.

Now would you say this is or is not indicative of a person getting reading for a plunge into the spinny vortex.:dunno::huh:

Being the polster i am yup you migt hate them but i think its time for another poll, what the heck we only had one yesterday.:rofl::rofl:

That IF provides a lot of fodder for fun that is for sure. But from the time spent with Larry, he is genuine and admires all forms of many things, spinny things even. But he has a list in his head of projects to complete and I don't think spinny is one of them, if it is, think he will outsource that part of the project to enhance his genuine sharing and utilize another family member in a project. That is just my personal opinion. (I got your back Larry)

your gettin scratched from my will too Rob:) i am gonna have take away your top secret status if yu continue this :rofl::rofl::rofl::thumb:

now i know why your a teacher yu can read ones mind pretty clear sometimes..and the outsourcing is spot on..there was a method to my madness jon.. your not all the way there but real close:)

Last edited:
I think Larry would give someone a gold chain....just so he could pull it once in a while!

I also think he'd never shoot man in the back but he would put a rattlesnake in your pocket and ask you for a match!

I'm going to stay on Larry's good side in case he more of that Chocolate wood he doesn't have room for... :D:D:D:D

Chuck, you're a smart man!

Larry, I think you know if you tried it you'd be sucked in deep so you don't let yourself get to close to a lathe...but like others have said...I think you're leaning towards the spinny land...:rofl::wave:

Yes, It does sound like Larry is stepping up to the precipice or maybe just admitting a dirty secret desire he has had all along.

I just want to point out that I sensed the possibility of this almost 2 years ago! <<Link to Post>>

You all must have thought I was nuts back then, but time has proved me right...unfortunetly. Sad to see the mighty fall like this.

Yes, It does sound like Larry is stepping up to the precipice or maybe just admitting a dirty secret desire he has had all along.

I just want to point out that I sensed the possibility of this almost 2 years ago! <<Link to Post>>

You all must have thought I was nuts back then, but time has proved me right...unfortunetly. Sad to see the mighty fall like this.

have faith soldier we have not give up the fight!! we will prevail. we must keep them thinking we are weak in order to take them by surprize:)

we must keep them thinking we are weak in order to take them by surprize:)

Just lean over and take a really close look at that vortex Larry. Notice it's soft, swirling grain pattern.....lean a little closer Larry.....isn't that a beauty? And on small items..you can finish them on the lathe Larry. The project comes off the lathe completely finished....done....kaput....fine....

Lean closer for a closer look Larry.

There's a sucker born every minute

Just lean over and take a really close look at that vortex Larry. Notice it's soft, swirling grain pattern.....lean a little closer Larry.....isn't that a beauty? And on small items..you can finish them on the lathe Larry. The project comes off the lathe completely finished....done....kaput....fine....

Lean closer for a closer look Larry.

There's a sucker born every minute

naw i can look from here ken i dont trust yu atall:) yu would push me over f yu got the chance..:rofl::rofl:

Having seen Larry's flatwork, if he took the plunge all the rest of the turners here would have problems to keep up with his standards and pace, so they would turn to flatworking in desperation, in this way Larry would be their saviour and benefactor.

Maybe the whole thing is too maquiavelic but who knows... "the goal justifies the means":dunno::dunno::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
OK I just gotta ask the question. Its been bugging me since I joined..:huh:
Whats up with all the bowls ? Every bowl I've seen that the spinny guys have posted have been beautiful works of art but what do you do with all of them? After a dozen or so bowls my wife would start throwing them at me. :rofl:
Why not table legs or lamps something? :dunno:
Heck, it would cost me a fortune in fruit every week just to keep them filled :rofl:

Don't venture too close to the dark side Larry :D

Having seen Larry's flatwork, if he took the plunge all the rest of the turners here would have problems to keep up with his standards and pace, so they would turn to flatworking in desperation, in this way Larry would be their saviour and benefactor.

Maybe the whole thing is too maquiavelic but who knows... "the goal justifies the means":dunno::dunno::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think it's high time Larry put up .....or shut up....no more of this "well if I did" stuff...behind our backs...:rolleyes: