• Yes Larry is preparing to take the plunge into the vortex

3 11.54%
  • No, he dont have what it takes to join the spinny guys

3 11.54%
  • He's just and undercover lathe salesman from big Yella

2 7.69%
  • (for the serious amongst us) Larry is just funning you

6 23.08%
  • He is trying to send his Boss (read it the way you like) a hint of a present (Christmas or retirement)

2 7.69%
  • Other (then make your point in the thread attached

7 26.92%
  • Please stop all these polls I am tired of them

3 11.54%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats your view of the big IF that Larry posed

Whats your view of the big IF that Larry posed

I took the bait to create some debate as to the answer to the big IF.

Seems our dear friend and Ambassador the one and only Larry is nearing the edge of the dreaded spinny vortex. I spotted a huge IF in this post on Jonathans find of a Jet lathe deal.

Now he gave a way quiet a few clues that have me guessing he is on the edge.

1) He reads what the spinny guys post and say.
    2) He admits to storing the info away for later use.
    3) He even makes statements about particular machines by name and model number.
    4) He has even assesed the tool budget and determined how long its going to take to save to be able to secure one of these.
    5) This is a stretch (but somewhat indicative of a detective behavior) he is reading posts on lathes for sale.
    6) He is stashing all that fine wood and finding out by sending blanks to all the spinny guys for comments, which wood is good to keep for turning and which is not.

Now would you say this is or is not indicative of a person getting reading for a plunge into the spinny vortex.

Being the polster i am yup you migt hate them but i think its time for another poll, what the heck we only had one yesterday.
    cheers

That IF provides a lot of fodder for fun that is for sure. But from the time spent with Larry, he is genuine and admires all forms of many things, spinny things even. But he has a list in his head of projects to complete and I don't think spinny is one of them, if it is, think he will outsource that part of the project to enhance his genuine sharing and utilize another family member in a project. That is just my personal opinion. (I got your back Larry)
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

your gettin scratched from my will too Rob i am gonna have take away your top secret status if yu continue this

now i know why your a teacher yu can read ones mind pretty clear sometimes..and the outsourcing is spot on..there was a method to my madness jon.. your not all the way there but real close
    Last edited by larry merlau; 09-24-2009 at 06:43 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Other: I think Larry would pull anyone's chain given half a chance.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

other

I'm going to stay on Larry's good side in case he more of that Chocolate wood he doesn't have room for...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I think Larry would give someone a gold chain....just so he could pull it once in a while!

I also think he'd never shoot man in the back but he would put a rattlesnake in your pocket and ask you for a match!
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    I'm going to stay on Larry's good side in case he more of that Chocolate wood he doesn't have room for...
    Chuck, you're a smart man!

Larry, I think you know if you tried it you'd be sucked in deep so you don't let yourself get to close to a lathe...but like others have said...I think you're leaning towards the spinny land...
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Yes, It does sound like Larry is stepping up to the precipice or maybe just admitting a dirty secret desire he has had all along.

I just want to point out that I sensed the possibility of this almost 2 years ago! <<Link to Post>>

You all must have thought I was nuts back then, but time has proved me right...unfortunetly. Sad to see the mighty fall like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Yes, It does sound like Larry is stepping up to the precipice or maybe just admitting a dirty secret desire he has had all along.

I just want to point out that I sensed the possibility of this almost 2 years ago! <<Link to Post>>

You all must have thought I was nuts back then, but time has proved me right...unfortunetly. Sad to see the mighty fall like this.
    have faith soldier we have not give up the fight!! we will prevail. we must keep them thinking we are weak in order to take them by surprize
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    we must keep them thinking we are weak in order to take them by surprize

Just lean over and take a really close look at that vortex Larry. Notice it's soft, swirling grain pattern.....lean a little closer Larry.....isn't that a beauty? And on small items..you can finish them on the lathe Larry. The project comes off the lathe completely finished....done....kaput....fine....

Lean closer for a closer look Larry.

There's a sucker born every minute
    Ken
    ------