Thread: wassup with 51 degrees?

wassup with 51 degrees?

I just received an e-mail from Skil that is promoting a new circular saw that cuts at a 51 degree angle.
    I guess that is nice. But, what is a cut like that used for?
    http://www.skiltools.com/en/AllTools...?pid=HD5687-01
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

they match it up with a 39 degree one that the guy before yu had cut and thought was a 45 to get a squaer corner Frank.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    they match it up with a 39 degree one that the guy before yu had cut and thought was a 45 to get a squaer corner Frank.
    Huh? Knowin' ye, Larry, I dunno ifn' thet's pullin' my leg or fer real.
    Somebody rescue me, please.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Sometimes you need a cut more than 45*, maybe because the corner is not square. I doubt if you ever need to go to 51* but I suppose they went far enough to make sure you had enough. About the most I've ever used is maybe 47* or 48*.

You can't really match up two different angles in a corner. So you can't really do one side at 39* and the other at 51*. The length of the two cuts won't match - the length of the angle part of the 51* cut will be longer than the length of the 39* angle and when you put them together they'll look terrible. When doing a miter cut, you have to divide the angle in two to get a good fit. So if your corner was 94*, you really have to make two 47* cuts to get them to fit together properly.

I'm sure Larry knows that and was just pulling your leg.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-23-2009 at 03:30 PM.
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I imagine it is like the stops on my machines. I generally set them a bit past zero and 45* for example; that way I can be precise as opposed to trusting the not-so-trustworthy stops. The 51* would allow you to easily do more that 45*, whatever it happened to be (up to 51* of course).
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Well, it depends on whether it is a Skil Pro model, OR whether it's a model sold at the Borgs, ie; If a Pro model it was probably planned to give plenty of leeway to set something more than 45* when needed, Buuuuuuuut.... IF it was a model made for the Borgs, it was probably planned to be 48* like most of the competition, but the machining was a little "sloppy" and ended up being 51* and rather than redo all the parts they just decided to ADVERTISE 51* as a FEATURE.

I don't have any clue. I would guess the guys who say better miter accuracy are on target but I sure don't have the skill to cut super accurate miters on a circular saw.
    I'd use my sliding compound saw to do it.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Frank i don't know anything about the skil, but my new makita will cut up to a 56 degree. Yes i have used degrees over a 45 many times. Say you are putting up a rim board for your I joist to butt into. With the funkie angles the architects are putting in these big houses it's prutty common.
    Heres a pic of my new saw and as (i hope ) you can see it does go up to the 56 degree. and yes it will cut all the way through a 2x4.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001 [800x600].JPG  

they get to charge more for the bigger angle.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Allen I only payed 135.00 for my saw. The last one i bought over 10 years ago i think i payed around 120.00 so i think that was more than fair. Not sure if the borgs sell it for the same price as i got mine at williams supply and rental.