Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival

Bill Satko

Last week I was taking classes with Garrett Hack at the Port Townsend School of Woodworking. It just so happens that the Wooden Boat Festival was to take place that weekend before the classes started. That and the fact that Lie Nielsen was holding one of their Hand Tool Event in Port Townsend convinced me that we should get over there that weekend.

So we got up very early and raced over to the Keystone ferry that would take us right to downtown Port Townsend.

Boat Festival0001.JPG Boat Festival0003.JPG

Having my priorities straight, we then drove over to Edensaw Woods (wonderful hardwood warehouse) where the Hand Tool Event was. It was a bit of a disappointment for me. I remember the Lie Nielsen booth at the woodworking shows when Deneb Puchalski would demonstrate and you would get a 10% discount. None of the participates were from Maine. They no longer offer a discount, only free shipping, but you must pay tax if your state charges a sales tax. I guess it would be like going to see the musical Cats in Peoria instead of Manhattan. I browsed around and bought a tooth blade for my L.A. Jack. With taxes and everything it is better for me to buy from Craftsman Studio (free shipping for over $75 and no taxes).

The next day (Sunday) we went to the wooden boat festival. Here are some teasers and if you want more go to this << link >>

Boat Festival0023.JPG Boat Festival0060.JPG

boat festival0077_r1.JPG Boat Festival0071.JPG

Boat Festival0021.JPG Boat Festival0022.JPG

Boat Festival0025.JPG Boat Festival0047.JPG

Just a quick addition, all the boats shown on this page and the link are wooden boats. The bicycle shown at the link is also wooden...well, the frame is.

Very cool, Bill. Looks like a great show. The wood-framed bike looks nice (with carbon fiber forks, no less), and I liked that little bandsaw you showed in your linked photo album.

What a great show Bill, just love wooden boats. with the amount of pics taken you had the pleasure to spend some good time viewing them. Thanks for sharing:thumb: So how did the class go?

Oh Bill I am green with envy. There is something about wooden boats that rings a bell with me big time. That location seems to be my heaven.:rofl:

Thanks for sharing with us and all the pics in your gallery too.

This just reminds me i got to get down to doing my canoe. Soon , very soon.:thumb:

Seattle is very similar. Got to go to their show many years ago and just walked around with my mouth hanging open. Like the worlds largest candy store. Just sensory overload!!