Woodturning at Wooden Boat Festival

Bill Satko

They had a small craft fair just outside Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival and I saw the following small turnings that I thought were very nice. According to my wife, this person shows her stuff around the various shows near us. I don't know the name of the turner. I found them to be very beautiful and unique. I hope you can tell how small they are.

Boat Festival0085.JPG

Boat Festival0086.JPG

Very nice stuff, Bill. Some of those glue-ups have me scratching my head trying to figure out how she did it.

Bill, I am curious, did you happen to notice any pricing on that work? And if so, could you share the approximate range? She has a lot of labor in them, wondering if they are cut offs from larger projects she has completed.

Thanks Bill for thinking of us all and posting these pictures. I reckon if the likes of Vaughn and Don are scratching their heads I wont even try.:D

What strikes me though is that she does appear to be market orientated. Making crafts which are small enough to transport, convey the creativity and beauty and probably priced competitively. I would assume she is looking to do volume in times like these at affordable price. Though a huge contradition to me is that the work involved in segment turning of this nature is surely far more labor intensive and multi material intensive than doing a HF. But thats just my perception from observation.

Would some of the turners comment on that assumption. From what i see the only real saving she is getting is the amount of wood, which when traded off against a single large piece of wood used to turn a bowl would be insignificant in cost depending on where the turner got their original block of wood from. I would think segement turning requires a great deal of material prep especially if it is made up of a variety of types of wood.

I suppose if one gears oneself towards the whole thing then the process time can be shortened.

What sort of pricing was the work being sold at Bill any idea?

IMHO this is a good type of artistic response to dealing with a reduced demand for craft work at a time when people have limit disposable income.

I am embarrassed to say I did not pay attention to any pricing. We just walked out of the festival ground and came across the craft show and did a quick drive by. If I run across her again I will be sure to get her pricing.