Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rip Blade < 2HP Saw

Rip Blade < 2HP Saw

This is a recurring theme that gets discussed (sometimes with much vigor). I had the opportunity to rip some 8/4 beech this evening and wanted to add an example of the Freud LU87R010 24T, thin kerf. I paid about $25 on sale through Amazon awhile back. For lower powered saws like my 22124 it is an asset even at the usual $40.

The surface that the blade is sitting on was the cut:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LU87R010 in Beech 001.jpg   LU87R010 in Beech 003.jpg   LU87R010 in Beech 002.jpg  
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

That looks pretty good. I pitched my rip blade awhile back and keep reminding myself that I need to get a new one. I'm not a fan of the thin kerf, though, so I'll get a 1/8.

What do you do with beech? I have a couple beech boards that my buddy with a pallet business gave me, but they've been down in the barn for a couple of years. Maybe I should fetch them up and figure out a project. Not much there, though. Any good for cutting boards?

Cheers.

I used it for my vise jaws. I have also used it for boxes or candle holders and the current pieces are for a more formalized version of my miter attachment for my sled. Machines very well, tight even grain, takes BLO or shellac (or both) nicely. I have never tried to color it outside of those however.

Sorry about the bad pic on the box; that was my old camera ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5th-ann-boxes-3.jpg   Add-Dog-Holes-041508.jpg   candle-woodsmith 005.jpg  
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-24-2009 at 12:35 PM.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I'm pretty certain that's the same blade I use for ripping. I've been very happy with them (I have two), and the counterpart crosscut blade on my Ridgid with a 1 1/2 hp motor.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks for this post Glenn I have been wanting get an additional blade to dedicate to ripping. Knowing you have the same machine helps me out tremendously.

I have been using a different thin kerf freud blade but it is 50 tooth combo also a cheap one at the HD. It cuts real nice but when ripping some 2x4 recently it was bogging down especially with wood which is not exactly properly dry such as the HD sells.

The 50 tooth at HD is in the regione of $36 Canadian so its cheaper than Amazon.

This looks like a good alternative for these issues and the finish cut looks real smooth. Is it smooth enough to glue up panels? I cannot exactly tell from the picture. Sure looks like it does.

I am going to make a note and look it up at the Hd to see if they stock it.

Ok I had a quick look and there seems to be some marketing difference here. I cannot make out what it is. But the range at the home depot is the Diablo Freud construction range. And the one you quoted is one of their thin kerf industrial blades. Both seem to be exactly the same just the pricing and labeling seems different. Any one know whats up here.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 09-24-2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Update comments
    cheers

Funny, I'll be in the market for some new blades as well, got to pay off that renovation somehow

On the SawStop, I can't use them coated blades
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Both seem to be exactly the same just the pricing and labeling seems different. Any one know whats up here.
    Charles McCracken; the gray phone please.

I am at a current state of confusion over Freud blades and so, do not have an answer. HD started carrying the Avanti line but they are a shadow of the Avanti blades I have from years back. The Diablo line that used to be targeting the construction market seem nicer than before and Freud now makes blades with the Ridgid brand that are beefier yet??? This is all subjective observation whilst standing in the store. Charles may chime in and give us the facts as he does so well (thanks for all your contributions Charles) since that is always better than my "guess".

As to the cut being glue ready; other than one spot where I mis-fed and piked up a few tooth marks, I would glue this up without hesitation. Having a glue ready cut right off the saw has a lot of contributing factors though. This beech had been in the shop for years and there was no noticeable stress relief during the long cut, that's unusual in my experience. Even with all mechanical and human element in harmony, a board my do the Watusi and spoil what would have been a glue-ready cut. But, for the most part, I rip and glue most cuts off this blade and my Lietz 24T as well. I am repeatedly impressed/surprised by Orion's hybrid design.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-24-2009 at 04:54 PM.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Hi Glenn

Another thing that I learnt is...when I'm ripping, I lift the blade to "full high", it's easier on the motor, the blade runs cooler and it lets me to use 60, 80 and even 100 teeth blade for ripping so the cut line is very smooth...

Well yes, of course I'm using the blade guard...main in from black plastic so I even don't see what's going on under the "hood" but, I also don't care...

Here are some pics...the Makita blade on the pics has 100 teeth

Regards
    niki

9. Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Charles McCracken; the gray phone please.

I am at a current state of confusion over Freud blades and so, do not have an answer. HD started carrying the Avanti line but they are a shadow of the Avanti blades I have from years back. The Diablo line that used to be targeting the construction market seem nicer than before and Freud now makes blades with the Ridgid brand that are beefier yet??? This is all subjective observation whilst standing in the store. Charles may chime in and give us the facts as he does so well (thanks for all your contributions Charles) since that is always better than my "guess".
    Glenn,

I am happy to hear that the LU87 is working well for you. The Freud Diablo line of blades is essentially unchanged except for some new offerings. Here's the official word on Freud Avanti:

In an effort to continue to deliver excellence in the cutting tool market, Freud consistently evaluates its product offering and brand strategy.

Freud has expanded its Freud Industrial Thin Kerf line to the point that it would be a replication for Freud to continue its Avanti line of saw blades. Therefore, Freud has decided to discontinue the Freud Avanti saw blades to streamline our saw blade strategy. We will be transitioning all Avanti saw blades over to Freud Industrial Thin Kerf line due to the significant increase in features and performance.

Freud will no longer manufacture the Avanti brand of saw blades effective June 2009.

Freud will continue to manufacture our premium brands including Freud Industrial & Diablo (premium construction line) from its manufacturing headquarters in Udine, Italy.

Because of this decision to discontinue the Freud Avanti saw blade line, consumers may see discounted Avanti product on the market until the completion of all existing inventory.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Thanks Charles. It great that you take the time to give advice to this forum.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward