Bandsaw Addition

Jeff Bower

This past Sunday I had plans to take a short road trip with my dad to look at a bandsaw I found on craigslist. Unfortunately I got the flu saturday and called my dad to cancel. He offered to go look at it and bring it home if it looked like a good deal. My mom went along and they had fun exploring a little more of Iowa...They even carried it into the garage for me! Thanks to both of them. :thumb:

It's a Rockwell Model 28-113. It's in pretty good shape and has a 1/2hp motor. I had to spend quite a bit of time on the table, but its clean and smooth now. There was also no switch so I added one and tuned up the guides and cut some wood with it last night. I need a new blade for sure, that will come this weekend as will a shopmade mobile base of some sort. While it's not the 18" I want eventually, it's a welcome addition to the shop and when it's time to upgrade, I will be able to get what I paid for it for sure...:)

Attachments

• 100_0894.JPG
    100_0894.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 100_0895.JPG
    100_0895.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_0896.JPG
    100_0896.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 92
Looks good to me, just the thing you want as a second bandsaw for scrolling type cuts! Once you do get that bigger bandsaw, I think you would be nuts to sell this one. Keep a very fine blade on it and I bet you will be surprised at how often you use it.

Good get for sure! :thumb:

Looks a lot like my 1970 saw I picked up to replace the small saw I sold when I got my larger bandsaw. At least you will not have to make that mistake; I already made it for you. Keep this one when you get your larger saw. I picked up a coarse and fine 1/4" blade and an 1/8" blade from Suffolk. I use the heck outta this little saw.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I guess I didn't think about keeping it when I upgrade...hope I remember this when I do....it will be quite awhile before it happens. :( I found some blades locally that are on the cheap side, but I will see how they work for now.

Glenn, I wish mine was the color of yours....it might be sometime soon. I have a few cans of gray paint from when I repainted my lathe...or I could add some green stripes and a big G and maybe some airbrushing to make it look like cheese to turn it into a GB Packer bandsaw....hmmmmm:rolleyes:

HOLY COW!! what a difference a new blade makes! I was wondering if I got a little excited with my new bandsaw the first few times I cut with it...I picked up a new 1/4" blade and WOW, cuts like butter...It's just a 10.99 Olson blade, but I can't see spending more on a blade as the band saw didn't cost that much more.

Jeff - awhile back before i finished my restoration of an old Davis - Wells large bandsaw i to bought a bandsaw, 14" (Central Machine-Brand New) from a garage sale for $200 on a stand that looks exactly like the one you have.

A couple things you may want to consider:

*** I added the riser block to it to gain more height for cutting thick blanks or taking the corners off before going to the lathe - I have to cut slower but it works good enough.

*** I bought new blades from Louis Ittura and the cost is the same as with most other places online. I find the quality of his blades to be superior but its just my opinion. He is however a expert with bandsaws and will talk to you about any aspect of it.

*** I had the problem of moving it around because i have to work out of my garage and pretty much everything has to be on platforms and be mobile.
I made a simple frame out of 2x4's in a square and cut a pc of 1/2" plywood for a base. Ordered some casters with rubber like wheels off ebay (Harbor Freight has them to) and put them on the bottom. You dont need anything really high end just watch the weight limitations on the wheels but mine is not that heavy to begin with. Knowing i would have more things mobile i bought 8 of them cheaply.
If your base is just like mine on the inside corners there are holes in the metal base you can use to anchor it into the platform and call it done.

Hope this helps you some...........Dan

Last edited:
A couple things you may want to consider:

*** I added the riser block to it to gain more height for cutting thick blanks or taking the corners off before going to the lathe - I have to cut slower but it works good enough.

This saw has a one piece frame and will not accept a riser.

*** I bought new blades from Louis Ittura and the cost is the same as with most other places online. I find the quality of his blades to be superior but its just my opinion. He is however a expert with bandsaws and will talk to you about any aspect of it.

Amen. New blades cut nice. Quality blades cut nice longer.