Thread: Pentel step drill

Pentel step drill

This is actually a turning thing, but it's a new tool to me. If it belongs someplace else please let me know.

I've been a big fan of Pentel click-top pencils for years, and consider them to be the best mechanism of this type ever...far better than anything available from the pen kit suppliers. A few years ago I was pleased to discover from Craft Supplies a step drill that would drill out a blank for the Pentel mechanism. It was pricey, but I bought one and ended up getting another. I didn't particularly like the recommendation for jigging up the blank in the lathe so devised my own which worked very well. I made many pencils for gifts. When I went back to Craft Supplies for another drill, they were no longer being sold. Well, there's another source. And there's even a mandrel.
    I received today the step drill and a mandrel, and promptly drilled out a blank to try it out. I'm pretty pleased with it. I ruined my blank by turning the wall down too thin...collapsed on me...but that's my fault...tomorrow's another day. I especially like the mandrel...keeps everything turning steady even when the wall gets thin. Even though both ends of the mandrel are dimpled, I had the best results when I held the headstock end in a drill chuck.

Whittier, CA, USA
    That is nice. The Pentel .7 mm pencil is my goto in the shop. I think I have 4 of them laying around for easy reach.

Might be a good Christmas gift project for my wood working friends and family.

Thanks for the link.

Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Very interesting.
    If you post that at the penturning forums, I'll betcha you will start a new fad.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

GTA Ontario Canada
    Thanks Ed for posting that link. The wonders of the internet that a guy producing something like this can carve a niche. Just goes to show.

I still use old fashioned pencils. I find i break the clutch pencils lead far to easy then it costs me in lead and i have these itsy bitsy pieces lying all over the place.

Yorktown, Virginia
    Thanks for the link. I have made literally hundreds of these pentel pencils as gifts for clients and architect friends. I bought several of the craft supplies drills but the last one is just about worn out. I was wondering where to find a new step drill and it turns out they are not far away.