WWII PBY

Bart Leetch

This is 1 of the pictures I took.

It is one of only 21 still flying. It landed here in Oak Harbor in the harbor & taxied over & came up the WW2 Sea plane ramp at the old sea plane base. It has been 60 some years since this has happened.

Attachments

• PBY.jpg
    PBY.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 63
Very cool, Bart. Ya don't get a lot of chances to see that kind of plane anymore. :thumb:

(I'm a plane buff, but I had to look up PBY.)

Cool! I love the old planes....saw a bunch of others at the Geneseo Antique Air Show a couple of years ago.

Somebody help my aging memory...didn't there used to be a show that featured a guy flying around in his WWII era sea plane? Kind of a rogue free-lance private eye type guy...maybe 15-20 years ago? Or have I just misplaced my marbles again?! :huh:

That's a neat old plane... remember the PBY's from my navy days .. I was on a radar picket ship out of SF, on station off LA when the USS Hancock came through our station and picked us up as a plane guard while they did manuevers... they had two PBY's - probably more modern than yours - that collided between us and the carrier.... we lost both pilots that day. This was in '63 or '64 - not sure of exact dates.

Cool! I love the old planes....saw a bunch of others at the Geneseo Antique Air Show a couple of years ago.

Somebody help my aging memory...didn't there used to be a show that featured a guy flying around in his WWII era sea plane? Kind of a rogue free-lance private eye type guy...maybe 15-20 years ago? Or have I just misplaced my marbles again?! :huh:

Yeah, and his arch rival was some beautiful dark haired gal they tried to pass off as Asian, and her bodyguard/thug was a "Samurai" who if he drew his sword, it had to taste blood..... :rolleyes:

Only reason I watched show was because of the PBY! :thumb:

Found it,
Tales-of-the-Gold-Monkey.jpeg

"Tales of the Gold Monkey" :D

300px-JRF-5_NAS_Jax_1942.jpg

And it was not a PBY, it was a Grumman Goose, and the main character is Cutter, so the plane was "Cutter's Goose"

Here you go, the opening credits!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe_zbyn1hQE

Geez, I'm a goof....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ImJmP0nW0
Episode 1 part 1 of 9

:wave:

Last edited: