Some cheap tools...........

Stuart Ablett

I'm going to be doing some spindle work, the Do it yourself Papa magazine guys called, they want another photo shoot of me turning table legs..........:huh:

I bought some new spindle tools, as I really did not have much, but I saw these three point tools and the Skewchigouge thing and said to myself "Self, you can make those!"

I bought the drill rod from a guy here on Yahoo auction, got 4 pieces 12" long in four sized delivered to my house for about $15. There is enough to make 2 of each tool, or 4 three point tools and 4 Skewchigouges.

Tonight I made two of each.........

skewchigouges.jpg
The Skewchigouges

three_point_tools.jpg
The three point tools

all_new_tools.jpg
everything, including the extra steel.

I have four sizes, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm and 12mm.

This was fun, and just fooling around with them, they cut real nice and are easy to use.

Cheers!

Nice looking chisels Stu and the price is right. Is the steel HSS? And does the seller have more? If so can you post a link to his auction site.

Hey Alex, thanks

I guess they are not HSS but carbon steel, of some sort.

The guy's auction pages are here and he has another set similar to mine on auction at the moment here.

The steel is JIS SK4F drill rod, he says this..........

材質SK4F (JIS:SK4) ドリルロッド (炭素工具鋼)です。 水焼入れが可能で、刃物を製作することが可能です。
  高炭素工で、センターレス研磨されています。 鋼材表面がすべすべしています。
  表面の状態は鋼材として一般的な状態です。 表面には多少の擦り傷(スジ)やシミがあります。
  ※端面はバンドソーまたはメタルソーで切ったままの状態です。
(If you don't have Japanese installed on your computer that will come out as
gobbledygook)

That roughly translates to.......

Material SK4F (JIS: SK4) The drill rod (the carbon tool steel) is. Water hardening being possible, it is possible to produce the edged tool.

The stuff is hard, but I'm able to get a nice SHARP edge on it. :thumb:

The other set he says this about.......

With the free-cutting steel JIS sign SUM24L (the sulphur compound free-cutting steel) it is set. The sulphur and the lead are included, very small amount from the general sulphur free-cutting steel of SUM21/22 and the like are superior in cutting characteristic.

Maybe this would have been a better choice, but it is a bit more expensive, and I wanted to see if I could make theses tools or not.

Cheers!

材質SK4F (JIS:SK4) ドリルロッド (炭素工具鋼)です。 水焼入れが可能で、刃物を製作す ることが可能です。
  高炭素工で、センターレス研磨されています。 鋼材表面がすべすべしています。
  表面の状態は鋼材として一般的な状態です。 表面には多少の擦り傷(スジ)やシミがありま す。
  ※端面はバンドソーまたはメタルソーで切ったままの状態です。

Gee Stu, why didn't you just say that in the first place.

:)

PS nice tools you got there.

Ken

Someone was asking for shots of the tips..........

three_point_tip1.jpg

three_point_tip2.jpg
This is fairly basic, you just keep the three facets the same size and you end up with a three sided tip

skewchigouge_side_tip.jpg

skewchigouge_top_tip.jpg

skewchigouge_under_tip.jpg
I used the vari grind tool thing and put a finger nail grind on the tip, then I ground the top a bit, on the very top part of my grinding wheel (easier to see holding the tool horizontal).

Sorry the pics are not great, my digi camera is having fits, so these are all taken with the cell phone camera.

Cheers!