Maybe all the guns, shotguns and rifles have wood stocks?

This thread is turning into a topic that is best discussed in person.

All mine have wood stocks. I just like to look at the wood grain, never cared for composite stocks although I understand why they are considered better.

Thread drift......happens all the time.

I just choose to life my life without living it in fear thats all Ken/Steve. I don't blame you for carrying, just no real need to in Maine wildlife wise. Perhaps Idaho and Michigan is different that's all.

I will say though that offenders here and the police attitude are far different. We had some problems with some hunters a few years back and the state police detective actually said, "Are you guys going to deal with this, or do you want us to, because I'm telling you right now, we aren't going to do anything."

They said the same thing when I had some guys growing dope on me. They asked if they could go on our land to nab the guys. When I told my UIL this, a police officer from NY State, he kept arguing that they would nab me since it was growing on my land. The thing is, he was telling me what they would do hypothetically speaking , while I was telling them what they did. Big difference. They know what is what, and who is who, and what it takes to maintain a few square miles of property.

No hunting cabin...no hunters. Same thing with dope growers. No house so they moved on. And the guys that stole firewood...yep they got the nice warm house they wanted too. You can use a gun or a match, but either way its defending your property.

There are no laws when it comes to defending you farm, family and friends. I think we all agree with that!

Travis,

If someone buys insurance do you think they are living their life in fear? If you will take time to read about black bear attacks you will find that most are considered to be predatory in nature. They were stalking the human. Now, let me explain something Travis, if that bear decides to attack, you are not going to have time to run to the neighbors to borrow a gun. That's a fact. I'll grant you the experts feel you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than being attacked by a bear. But once struck by lightning, it's too late to buy health insurance or life insurance and once attacked by a black bear, it would be too late to run to the neighbors to borrow a gun.

So if you don't believe in insurance, that's your right. BTW....the Maine F&G feels the state's bear population has increased 5 fold since the late '80s.

One more thought Travis.....when you are running for that gun....that is not what they recommend you do when a black bear attacks you...it spurs on the urge to perform a predatory attack. Good luck Travis.

Last edited:
No luck involved Ken...I believe in a thick black book with very thin pages. I do not live in fear because there is a plan for me...both in life and in my demise and so I simply live everyday to the fullest. Knowing Steve Ash as I do, I think he lives his life without fear for the same sort of reason. So if I die by the paws of a black bear while mending fence late at night, it was meant to be. At least it was doing what I love to do and is part of this family's long legacy...farming!

Incidentally, my Great, Great Grandfather...Wallace Johnson, was accidentally killed by a hunter who mistook him for a deer while he surveyed wood to cut. This was in 1899, and while he got on horseback and made it home, he was laid to rest from the gun shot. While I am sure his loss was felt, because of that widow's move, another marriage and children, we acquired another farm that increased our overall acreage again. The legacy goes on

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with increasing ones odds in a survival situation, or planning for the future, but having faith and living life to the fullest everyday has its place too.

As for the stalking part, I read that from the beginning but I think you are getting confused between an activity description and intent. There is no question in my mind that black bears stalk humans...they are indeed very curious creatures. They are more likely to smell you and run, but if they do happen to smell you and stalk you, with those big padded feet and ability to cruise through the woods silently, I bet they are undetected. But the question really is...what is their intent? I contend its to see what you are doing, and where you are going and pretty much curiosity based. You assume its to kill and maim. I don't see that and stats kind of prove my point otherwise more people would be dead from black bear attacks.

Travis,

It's good you have faith Travis. I can see why you should place a lot of importance on it.

I suggest that you look up the word "predatory" in the dictionary. Dictionary...that's another book Travis. Keep in mind Travis....in this instance man, that's you and I Travis, has become the subject food source of the black bear when they refer to black bear attack as predatory in nature. While in the dictionary Travis look up the word "naive".

I saved you the effort Travis. Here's what one place says about the word predatory : In ecology, predation describes a biological interaction where a predator (an organism that is hunting) feeds on its prey, (the organism that is attacked).[1] Predators may or may not kill their prey prior to feeding on them, but the act of predation always results in the death of the prey.

You might also consider that just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. There is a great big world out there Travis and by your communications here I suspect you haven't seen or experienced much of it.

BTW 5 of my fathers cousins were hunting one day. One cousin turned around to say something to another cousin and his shotgun discharged striking anther cousin in the abdomen. The cousin who was shot died. That's one reason my father placed an extreme amount of importance on gun safety when he started my brother and I hunting at an early age.

Psst..... Man really did walk on the moon. It wasn't a hoax.

BTW Travis....I come from a long line of farmers.....and oilfield roughnecks.

Last edited:
O.K. back to the cat picture. My son posted a picture to me of a cat supposedly taken along lake Michigan stalking a deer..........I asked him if we had black tail deer in the state? Nor did I recognize any of the vegetation in the picture. Do we have big cats in Michigan? You bet!! My in-laws in the U.P. have seen them many times on the family farm. Also I have heard of many sightings down in the lower counties that seem credible. In fact I have personally sighted animals not normally indigenous to our area several times. We do have the occasional black bear wander through. I used to trap, and the presence of some fur bearers I trapped were not at all known nor ever seen by the average local citizen.

As to carrying a firearm in the field; I carry in certain areas in the U.P. because I am sneaking around stalking trout and there are very high numbers of black bears near by. I don't fear them much I just don't want to surprise them and cause a bad reaction. Bear experts claim that a bears personal air space can extend out to near 100 yards. I have seen plenty of bears in the wild and have only once had a problem with one. in addition 3 of my friends have been either stalked, and or charged repeatedly, one for over half a mile. My own uncomfortable experience was getting followed out of the woods after dark by a black bear. Talk about the hair standing up. The bugger followed me up a logging trail for several 100 yards. Maybe he was just curious? I don't know but I sure talked to him a lot and made lots of mean noises.

As to living in fear; I don't. But I do live in a prudent fashion. I also read the good book and there is a lot in there about this. I have pulled my pistol on a home invader and was sure glad I had it because the perp was desperate and running from the police and he figured out fortunately for us both that it was wise to exit the house right quick. At the time I lived in a bad neighborhood. I don't anymore. I keep firearms handy now for the occasional coon, coyote or other varmint that comes around. I get testy when they raid the chicken coop. God put all things on this earth including predators with their natural instincts. He also gave us brains He expects us to use in a prudent fashion.

Have you heard about the preacher who was out in the woods when a bear started chasing him. He ran as fast as he could but it wasn't fast enough. the bear caught him and the poor man called out to God "please Lord make this a Christian bear" Well, the bear paused and put his paws together and said "bless me oh Lord, and these thy gifts................

Come on guys lighten up a little... I do like a vigorous conversation but we want to remember what a family is........I think:D