Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using sharp tools.....OMG

Using sharp tools.....OMG

Well, I finally had a weekend where I didn't have to work or go somewhere else. So I got out in the shop and decided to turn a couple pens. Now, a few weeks ago I had purchased a grinder and Wolverine sharpening jig from a guy on Craigslist. Today before I started to turn I gave my tools a quick pass on the sharpener. WOW....I apparently have NEVER used sharp tools before. I had been sharpening them by eye using an old belt sander but now....they really have an edge. It was amazing to me how much nicer they cut. Lesson learned here. I made two pens (sorry no pictures) and cut up blanks for more turning tomorrow. I am anxious to try them out on larger projects.

Tom

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Yup, Sharp tools do make a differance.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Did a web search for a company named "Sharp Tools" with poor results.

Wish I had one... Do I need one? Would it help? I am just kidding around. Trying to perk up this forum...

How do we get more activity ?? I was banned for life on a very popular and active forum ---- would like to see this forum become more active.

Sour gapes Paul
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Tom it sure does make a difference. You'll find that out especially on dry hard wood.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gallian View Post
    Did a web search for a company named "Sharp Tools" with poor results.

Wish I had one... Do I need one? Would it help? I am just kidding around. Trying to perk up this forum...

How do we get more activity ?? I was banned for life on a very popular and active forum ---- would like to see this forum become more active.

Sour gapes Paul
    Paul the best way to make this place better is to post the stuff you are working on yourself, or things that you find interesting, the more one posts, the more opportunity it gives for others to make comments and ask questions about what one is doing. Trying to "Perk Up" a forum may not be the best approach, instead, share what you are doing, and make sure you take pictures!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

IM reading this thread, and realized my wife had picked up my grinder(it finally came in and I couldnt get out because of work), she wasnt thrilled about going to the tool guy, but its been in her trunk and now, at 11:55 saturday night, I have this urge to go outside into the shop and try putting some kind of new edge on my 29 dollar chisel set.

she said no, she wont give me her keys, to go to bed it will be there in the morning. Shell never understand this disease.(but she also hid the chocolate lolliepops and I found them, so Ill wait for her to go sleepy)
    ok, so sometimes I dont listen to her.

thanx for reminding me, I was going to spend a few hours sanding tomorrow, I might have forgotten again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 1352 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 09-27-2009 at 04:05 AM.

Eh, no rush Allen. Sharp tools really aren't all that important. Just ask Tom.

It sure is an eye opener, isn't it Tom?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Sharp turning tools can put the fun back into turning and IMHO are much safer.
    Ken
    ------

I remember when I started turning, I thought they were sharp out of the box! Then I bought a slow speed grinder and made a couple of passes and sharp! Yep, night and day difference! Also, less sanding!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I have the same setup - wolverine with my grinder and i like it alot. I have my jigs and platform set up so that i can quickly and easily sharpen my tools and be back at the lathe quickly. I added a few of the Raptor gauges (you dont really need them but they were on sale in the woodturners catalog and i was buying some other stuff anyway) to be able to quickly change angles if i want to on other tools.
    You will like it alot...........Dan
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................