Thread: Just made a jack plane

Just made a jack plane

Today, while I was working on my seven drawer dresser I found that the wood I am using has wild grain and that it tears off at the most unexpected and bad places, so I decided to make a plane with the blade at 55º to see if that would help.

Well it didn't help much but here is the plane and some test shavings I made with it. I will round and shape it later but I'm quite happy with the result.

This is the pile of shavings I made with it but finally I had to give up and sand.

PS. I didn't know that Frank had brothers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plane08.jpg   plane09.jpg   plane11.jpg   plane13.jpg  
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Thats a nice one toni, I been wanting to make a woody, just haven't gotten a round 2 it.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

hey toni how did yu cut the angled hole for the iron and your wedge, it seems as though the last time yu made a plane yu sawed the sides then reglued them but this one looks like yu took and just cut out the hole from the solid block
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Wait a minute - you get Blondie in Spain!? In English?!

That's the difference between you and I Toni. You ran into a problem and grabbed a hunk of wood to fix it. I would have grabbed a catalog.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Now we will see...if the rain in Spain is mainly on the plane.....

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Today, while I was working on my seven drawer dresser I found that the wood I am using has wild grain and that it tears off at the most unexpected and bad places, so I decided to make a plane with the blade at 55º to see if that would help.

Well it didn't help much but here is the plane and some test shavings I made with it. I will round and shape it later but I'm quite happy with the result.

This is the pile of shavings I made with it but finally I had to give up and sand.

With that pile shavings I am surprised there was anything left to sand!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    hey toni how did yu cut the angled hole for the iron and your wedge, it seems as though the last time yu made a plane yu sawed the sides then reglued them but this one looks like yu took and just cut out the hole from the solid block
    Hi Larry, no I didn't cut the hole for the blade and wedge, I used the sandwich technique as before, but this time the joint lines are better, besides as it is still rough and the wood is oak, they are better disguised

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Wait a minute - you get Blondie in Spain!? In English?!

That's the difference between you and I Toni. You ran into a problem and grabbed a hunk of wood to fix it. I would have grabbed a catalog.
    Hi Rennie, that is a newspaper that came from US wrapping an e-bay item, I'll tell you the details when we'll meet in April.
    As for the catalog, well, you know that tools are difficult to get here so...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Now we will see...if the rain in Spain is mainly on the plane.....
    Hopefully not Ted or it will get rusty

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    With that pile shavings I am surprised there was anything left to sand!
    That is the problem of making round shapes, you see... they take a round tree and cut it into parallelograms, so that afterwards I glue them back and make them round again, the only drawback is that it generates a lot of waste wood
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Nice work Toni!

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post

Nice work on the jack plane Toni! And those shavings!! COOL!

I've got a 55deg wooden smoother plane design in the works but had the project pre-empted for a set of brass bound marking gauges. Once that project s done, I will get back to work on the plane.
    See ya around,
    Dominic