Just made a jack plane

Today, while I was working on my seven drawer dresser I found that the wood I am using has wild grain and that it tears off at the most unexpected and bad places, so I decided to make a plane with the blade at 55º to see if that would help.

Well it didn't help much but here is the plane and some test shavings I made with it. I will round and shape it later but I'm quite happy with the result.

This is the pile of shavings I made with it but finally I had to give up and sand.:(

PS. I didn't know that Frank had brothers:D:D

Attachments

• plane08.jpg
    plane08.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 57
  • plane09.jpg
    plane09.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 60
  • plane11.jpg
    plane11.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 62
  • plane13.jpg
    plane13.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 56
hey toni how did yu cut the angled hole for the iron and your wedge, it seems as though the last time yu made a plane yu sawed the sides then reglued them but this one looks like yu took and just cut out the hole from the solid block

Wait a minute - you get Blondie in Spain!? In English?!:huh:

That's the difference between you and I Toni. You ran into a problem and grabbed a hunk of wood to fix it. I would have grabbed a catalog.:rofl::rofl:

Today, while I was working on my seven drawer dresser I found that the wood I am using has wild grain and that it tears off at the most unexpected and bad places, so I decided to make a plane with the blade at 55º to see if that would help.

Well it didn't help much but here is the plane and some test shavings I made with it. I will round and shape it later but I'm quite happy with the result.

This is the pile of shavings I made with it but finally I had to give up and sand.:(

With that pile shavings I am surprised there was anything left to sand!:rofl:

hey toni how did yu cut the angled hole for the iron and your wedge, it seems as though the last time yu made a plane yu sawed the sides then reglued them but this one looks like yu took and just cut out the hole from the solid block

Hi Larry, no I didn't cut the hole for the blade and wedge, I used the sandwich technique as before, but this time the joint lines are better, besides as it is still rough and the wood is oak, they are better disguised:)

Wait a minute - you get Blondie in Spain!? In English?!:huh:

That's the difference between you and I Toni. You ran into a problem and grabbed a hunk of wood to fix it. I would have grabbed a catalog.:rofl::rofl:

Hi Rennie, that is a newspaper that came from US wrapping an e-bay item, I'll tell you the details when we'll meet in April.;)
As for the catalog, well, you know that tools are difficult to get here so...

Now we will see...if the rain in Spain is mainly on the plane.....:)
Hopefully not Ted or it will get rusty:rofl::rofl:

With that pile shavings I am surprised there was anything left to sand!:rofl:
That is the problem of making round shapes, you see... they take a round tree and cut it into parallelograms, so that afterwards I glue them back and make them round again, the only drawback is that it generates a lot of waste wood:(:rofl:

Nice work Toni!

Nice work on the jack plane Toni! :thumb:And those shavings!! COOL!

I've got a 55deg wooden smoother plane design in the works but had the project pre-empted for a set of brass bound marking gauges. Once that project s done, I will get back to work on the plane.