Ash Porch Swing

Lets try this again. Something happened so this is my second attempt.
Built from Shop Notes plans. Modified to 6ft long for 3 adults, other mods too, such as back support. Not visible in pic but because of the length of the back rest it wanted to flex in back. Not now!
Finished in Teak Oil.

Attachments

• Porchswing finished.jpg
    Porchswing finished.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 90
Donald, that's a great-looking porch swing. :thumb: I'll bet you get a lot of comfortable miles out of it...without ever leaving home. :)

Nice work Donald. :thumb: My Brother-in-law built a few out of oak. Even made a miniature one for my sister. It hangs over her center island in their kitchen as her spice rack.

Thanks!

I appreciate the compliments.

No those cutouts arent cupholders, they are indeed notches where the eye lags go for the chain.

The picture is decieving. The wide board in the back rest is centered perfectly. All my friends would laugh at that comment because they know if it was a 32nd off I would probably burn it. Ha!

The friends of ours just loved it. We sat 3 adults on it and a 3rd grader with all kinds of room. Not a creek or flex of even a 1/16 of an inch. Too many screws for any flexing. Ha!

The board across the back is from one side to the other just behind the top rail radius. It 4 inches wide at the very center of the swing and tapers to 1 inch on each end. Glued and screwed on as well. It serves as a perfect place to rest your arm across the back.

It really looked proportional on their 12 foot wide timber frame porch. A normal size swing would of looked really strange on that big ole porch.

The greatest compliment came when my friends mother in law at 86 years young came over to see it. She just stood there and looked at it and looked at it. They told her to sit down repeatedly but she wouldnt, she said she was enjoying looking at it first. Ha!

This thing took over 120 dollars in hardware alone. Worth every bit of it. Oh, I also installed it with big springs at the top of the chains. Nothing like the comfort of spring on a porchswing.

Great swing Donald,:thumb: this is another one on my "to do " list, but I'll need to build the porch first, unless I make some sort of suports but then it wouldn't be a porch swing;)

Thanks for posting