Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid sheep was warned...

Stupid sheep was warned...

I got a Ram a few weeks ago that was humongous in size...275-300 pounds and he was nasty, and the reason why he was free in cost. Over the last few days he has been getting nastier and nastier, and the entire sheep shed would rattle as he pounded against the wood. Yesterday he breached security by getting through the sheep shed outer boards, but some planking kept him physically in. Today he managed to get past that.

Luckily I was home and had just returned and saw he was not where he was supposed to be. I did have the chute locked so he could only get so far. Anyway there he was in the chute waiting for me. Yeah right, like I was putting him back in the sheep shed. Heck even the USDA Vet that came today had heard about this ram's nasty demeanor and had been warned about him.

Its the one thing I really hate about animal husbandry, but I don't pass off problem livestock. I called last night and the earliest date I could get him to the slaughterhouse was November 9th...5 weeks away. Unfortunately I could not wait that long. Usually one shot does the trick, but I missed the brain on the first shot, but the second shot dropped him. Its too bad to lose so much meat (300 pounds) but he'll be used as coyote bait for the boys who hunt, so at least not all of him is wasted.

Kind of a weird ending to a long farm day!
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I have a vision of travis standing next to the shed shaking his finger at the Ram and saying "You do that again and your dead meat"...
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I have a vision of travis standing next to the shed shaking his finger at the Ram and saying "You do that again and your dead meat"...
    Faith, Hope & Charity

You have to do what you have to do with animals. I put down a couple I sure didn't want to.
    But, mutton on the hoof? I woulda slaughtered myself. Roast slow, plenty of garlic.....yum.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Butte Montana which is 1/2 way between Purgatory and Heaven

Stupid sheep was warned...

I was raised on a "starvation sheep" ranch - I probably would be running it today had my father, bless his soul, had better partners. He had a very difficult time finding anyone better (in his mind) than Mr's Jack Daniels and Jim Beam.

Anyway the reason I'm responding to this post is the reply by Frank Fusco - Mutton, yum! Ugg - I can still remember eating mutton, drinking a glass of cold water and scraping the grease off the roof of your mouth. I like lamb but NO mutton.

I live in Montana, a fairly large sheep producing state, but it's pretty sad when you walk into any major grocery chain to buy lamb an you can only purchase lamb that comes from Australia.

I do miss the lambing season and the "piling" in the winter. Any cold weather sheep rancher will know what I mean regarding piling. Course today there are more sheds and weather protected structures than we used 60 years ago.

Jiggs Elphison

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post

I thought of that as soon as I read the headline!!!
    Throw Apples out the Windows, but make sure not to hit the Penguin.

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it canít be done.

I guess I'm missing the joke because I do talk to my sheep. Hey I am here alone all day with them and have no one else to talk to so that's just what I said, "You ram your head again like that and I'll smoke your hiney!"

No matter. Frank is indeed right, but so is Jigg's. Its a waste of mutton, but then again if you don't get Mutton down to 95% lean then its pretty foul tasting...worse then eating duck. Now that is disgusting!

I probably would have looked at the situation differently if I had more invested in him. As always, he was a free ram because he was nasty and the people that had him could not put him down. I don't have that problem and NEVER pass problem livestock to someone else. So he was free, been here about 3 weeks and I had nothing into him. I've slaughtered animals myself, but with a freezer full of lamb already, it seemed like a lot of work for 150 pounds of sausage??? Job wise, I got another ram who is far more tame, does his job and sires good lambs...so dispatching this one was not a hard decision. Let the coyotes take him as bait, then put the dogs on the coyote and ultimately that will save more sheep that are worthy of being saved.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    I said, "You ram your head again like that and I'll smoke your hiney!"
    Maybe this is why you missed his brain with the first shot??
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I like duck.
    Nebber had no bad tasting lamb/mutton.
    Y'all must not roast slow enuf or use enuf garlic.
    I also prefer my bacon from a big old fat boar. Don't even try to give me none o' that sissified 'healthy' bacon stuff.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Travis,
    Don't suppose you'd use the ram as an example to ornery family members, eh?
    paulh