Belt Sander - Sanding Shoe Question

Dan Mosley

Has or is anyone on here using the sanding shoe that goes on a belt sander? I have a Makita Belt Sander 9903 3 x21 and i was told that the sanding shoe will make the belt sander act like a drum sander by making the sanding level across a large flat surface.............anybody have any thoughts here?
Is there a website where it describes the sanding shoe ? I am unabe thru a search to come up with anything describing its use etc....

Thanks Dan

Dan,

I think you need to get more info on this, because almost all belt sanders I have seen and used have a replaceable wear shoe. I replaced my Portet-Cable shoe when it got bad. Same size as your Makita, 3"x21". There was a cork cushion glued on the shoe that goes between the sander body and the shoe that seems to get compressed from use. The metal wear plate was still pretty good though.

I really don't know how you could make a belt sander into a drum sander unless you only sanded with one end roller. Maybe that's how? Be interested to learn how.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
Tony, I've seen pictures of a contraption that goes on the outside of the sander, sort of like a flat front, rear and side outrigger. It's set just a hair off flush with the sanding platen, so that the sander can't rock or dig in to the workpiece. I think they are more common in Europe than here in the US, but hopefully someone can post a link to a picture.

Vaughn - Tony
My understanding of how it works is like Vaughn was saying and i was thinking that on large slabs of wood it would be possible to sand level and avoid having to find someone with a large drum sander and pay the high shop rates but i cant find enough info on it. Ill try to call Makita tomm and let you know more details.....below is a link but it does not say much

Makita 1930707 SANDING SHOE, 9903 - Makita Tools

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Produc...9903&utm_campaign=googlebase&site=google_base

I called Makita today and spoke with someone in technical service about the sanding shoe. They do not any longer make it and the reason was they were not selling enough units and then it became a pricing issue.
I was told that most user do not keep the beltsander perfectly flat and something they will dig in on the edges while sanding and not even realize there doing it so with the shoe in place this will not happen and your sanding will be perfectly flat - you can also adjust the depth of the cutting from the belt to the shoe and take off only so much at at time but you still have to keep it constantly moving.
I assume that from the above you will still need a straight edge to check your leveling as you go and change from grit to grit to ensure you are keeping your surface level.

I agree with the jack plane but im not any good at it to tell the truth and i have a belt sander and for projects here and there i thought this may be a good solution.

Thanks Dan