More of Ellie's Sycamore

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is another piece of sycamore from the widow next door. I turned it a while back but never got around to posting pics of it. I tried to do a sunburst dye job on the inside, but the shading isn't real pronounced. It came out more of an orange-red-brown all over, but it still looks OK to me. I burned the rim to highlight it a bit. It's about 10" by 5 1/2" or so...it's packed away right now and I don't feel like digging it out. The finish is spraycan lacquer, wet sanded and buffed out.

Bowl 069 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 069 - 03 800.jpg Bowl 069 - 02 800.jpg

As always, comments and critiques are welcome -

... How do you keep your tool from catching on the hole while turning??

Speed is your friend on pieces like this. Even at a moderate speed, I'm guessing 800 RPM or so, the ride smooths out and you barely notice the void going by. It's much like driving on a washboard road...at slow speeds it's very bumpy and hard to control, but once you get past a certain speed, you just fly over the bumps. The same principal applies on pieces with bigger voids, too. Here's a bit more extreme example of that concept.

Thanks for the comments, guys. :wave:

Very nice Vaughn! The burnt rim really sets the interior apart, which might not be what you were looking for, but it looks great to me. :thumb:

Vaughn, I got the name for that there bowl. A DIET bowl. You can only fill it 2/3's full!!!:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl: (I need that kind of bowl!:doh:) Man that is sweet! I really envy your talent, if bowls were my inclination, I would be looking over your shoulder all the time!!!! But even though I lean towards pens and stuff, it never hurts to look at others work, who knows, might get froggy some day and chuck a bowl blank up (that Paul gave me last night for just such an occasion! :D)