Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doh!

Doh!

I mounted a pretty big spalted maple log to the lathe and got it round. The shape was going well...I was pretty much done hollowing it, just needed to scrap it smooth...It was pretty punky in the base but I though I could clean it up...then I thought, just a little thinner...then I thought OH NOOOOO!!!

About 3hrs work for nothing. Oh well, its just wood and my time...still kinda upset about it though. Nice looking spalted maple too...I guess there always another log, right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p_00003.jpg   p_00006.jpg   p_00007.jpg   p_00009.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Doh

(then I thought,)Thats where ya goofed Hey real bummer.thats why I try to stay away from that thinkin thing,gets me in trouble all the time

Those of us who turn are known for making funnels. I know I do periodically.
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ward View Post
    (then I thought,)Thats where ya goofed Hey real bummer.thats why I try to stay away from that thinkin thing,gets me in trouble all the time
    Very true Ken!

Neal Addy's sig line on WoodNet says..."Never under ANY circumstances, make that last cut"....I should have listened to him and not my own thoughts....
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Whoops........

Nope, never done that myself, nope, never, not one time.....

I feel your pain!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Bummer.
    Were you using two different lathes?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

OH OH Ya had to take that last cut didn't ya.

I feel your pain Jeff. I don't know how many times I thought oh that is pretty smooth or getting it thin like I want it then I think one last cut. I know it is just wood but still.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Bummer.
    Were you using two different lathes?
    I was using 2 lathes...I roughed in on my homemade lathe and finished...er...wrecked in on the grizzly. The homemade one is much beefier, turns at lower speeds and handles out of round things better, while the grizz is better tuned...meaning the bearings are in good shape and run true. That will be fixed soon, I hope.
    My Website

True the bottom off. and glue to a a square board and keep it as a reminder trophy...

I have been there and done that. When thrown off the horse get back on...

I know this just adds to the pain -- beautiful wood... sorry for the "DOH"

Paul
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gallian View Post
    True the bottom off. and glue to a a square board and keep it as a reminder trophy...

I have been there and done that. When thrown off the horse get back on...

I know this just adds to the pain -- beautiful wood... sorry for the "DOH"

Paul
    Paul, I'm aching to "get back on the horse" this darn job thing gets in the way though...Reminder trophy huh.......not sure I want to keep it. Still thinking about that...I might do it, then again I might fling it into a fire...
    My Website