Doh!

Jeff Bower

I mounted a pretty big spalted maple log to the lathe and got it round. The shape was going well...I was pretty much done hollowing it, just needed to scrap it smooth...It was pretty punky in the base but I though I could clean it up...then I thought, just a little thinner...then I thought OH NOOOOO!!!:(

About 3hrs work for nothing. :doh: Oh well, its just wood and my time...still kinda upset about it though. :eek: Nice looking spalted maple too...I guess there always another log, right. :huh:

Attachments

• p_00003.jpg
    p_00003.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 62
  • p_00006.jpg
    p_00006.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 63
  • p_00007.jpg
    p_00007.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 70
  • p_00009.jpg
    p_00009.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 64
Doh

(then I thought,)Thats where ya goofed :D Hey real bummer.thats why I try to stay away from that thinkin thing,gets me in trouble all the time :(

(then I thought,)Thats where ya goofed :D Hey real bummer.thats why I try to stay away from that thinkin thing,gets me in trouble all the time :(

Very true Ken!

Neal Addy's sig line on WoodNet says..."Never under ANY circumstances, make that last cut"....I should have listened to him and not my own thoughts....:D

OH OH Ya had to take that last cut didn't ya.:bang:

I feel your pain Jeff. I don't know how many times I thought oh that is pretty smooth or getting it thin like I want it then I think one last cut. I know it is just wood but still.:mad:

Bummer.
Were you using two different lathes?

I was using 2 lathes...I roughed in on my homemade lathe and finished...er...wrecked in on the grizzly. The homemade one is much beefier, turns at lower speeds and handles out of round things better, while the grizz is better tuned...meaning the bearings are in good shape and run true. That will be fixed soon, I hope.

True the bottom off. and glue to a a square board and keep it as a reminder trophy...

I have been there and done that. When thrown off the horse get back on...

I know this just adds to the pain -- beautiful wood... sorry for the "DOH"

Paul

True the bottom off. and glue to a a square board and keep it as a reminder trophy...

I have been there and done that. When thrown off the horse get back on...

I know this just adds to the pain -- beautiful wood... sorry for the "DOH"

Paul

Paul, I'm aching to "get back on the horse" this darn job thing gets in the way though...Reminder trophy huh....:rolleyes:...not sure I want to keep it. Still thinking about that...I might do it, then again I might fling it into a fire...:p

Hey Jeff...

If you wanted to see the inside that bad, why didn't you just get a flashlight and take a peek, instead of opening it all the way up? :laugh2:

Bummer about the mishap. I don't remember...is your hollowing rig laser-equipped?

Hey Jeff...

If you wanted to see the inside that bad, why didn't you just get a flashlight and take a peek, instead of opening it all the way up? :laugh2:

Bummer about the mishap. I don't remember...is your hollowing rig laser-equipped?

:rofl::D;)

I've got the rig my dad made and it has an attachment for a laser with it....just don't have a laser...so, um yes but no. :eek: