Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skeet..........

Skeet..........

I got a request from a good buddy to turn some wooden Skeet targets, clay pigeons.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clay1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	37339 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clay2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	37340 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clay3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	37341
    Here are the pics he sent me.

I found that these are usually 110mm in diameter.

What he wants is a wooden replica that can be mounted on a board, and then they will laser engrave a name etc on it for a going away present for a member of their gun club on base, or for a prize for a shooting competition.

He wants six, and says they will pay for them, what kind of price do you think would be reasonable?

I'm thinking to make them out of Maple, as it is easy to turn, will look nice with a coat of simple finish on it, and it will show a good contrast with the laser engraving. I don't know if they want me to make the backer board or not, I'm thinking that if they do what a backer board, maybe a nice Walnut board would throw a good contrast

I'm also thinking that a solid back would be best, no need for a hollowed out version, as it would be mounted to a backer board. Simple easy to do, just make a recess to put the chuck into and then turn the top part.

I guess the knurled or toothed part would be hard to do, I could do it by hand maybe

Thoughts?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

(cough, cough)iCarver(cough, cough)
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post

I was thinking the same.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post

I was thinking the same.
    Yeah, maybe at some point, but he needs them sort of soon, so I'd have to get this done like this weekend
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Well, either using a vee chisel, wood burning, or using the edge of a saw blade as a scraper comes to mind.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

too funny!

congrats on the comission Stu, no clue as to what to charge though.
    -Ned

For doing only six, a small carving gouge would probably take care of the job quick enough.

Cheers,
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

You asked about pricing - I don't think at least $20.00/ hr is too much to charge.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Thanks guys!
    William Arthur Ward

Have you considered making them in two pieces? The larger lower disk, with the "stacked" layers turned as a separate single piece. That would give you direct access to the knurled edge (the bottom of the stack). You could then use a small round file to get a similar "toothed" look.

Also, I'd suggest checking with the laser guy to see if he wants finished or unfinished wood. Maybe Lee or Nancy can chime in on that.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com